Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Parking Brake Pedal Not working??

Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 AM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Badmofo3000
Okay, the cables stretched! Got new cables and measured each one to new ones. Total added up to 1 and 3/4 inch. Problem solved.
the old cables stretched 1.75 inches? That's impressive!

Good job fixing it! If you have the time a write up would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Old 05-21-2015, 01:37 PM
riverjamie
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some info from badmofo300

Badmofo3000, could you pls tell me out of all the cables that stretched which one had stretched the most?

I'm asking because I'm having the same problem with my 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport.

I'm going to do the shoes, cylinders, drums and bleed only because it's needed, but don't think it will solve the parking brake issue?

Could you also pls tell me if your parking brake works like mine? When I apply the parking brake it ratchets down until it stops at the bottom. Someone thought that it should come back up for a second push back down for more tension?

Does the new pedal assy work the same as the old one?

Is it possible that you could provide some info on how you replaced the cables? The dealer wants $1500 for the job.

Sorry for all the questions but could really use your feedback.

Thanks

Last edited by riverjamie; 05-21-2015 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Had to change some info
Old 05-22-2015, 07:47 PM
Badmofo3000

riverjamie,

I'll do my best to help you out, it was a couple years back. Anyways, here we go!

Badmofo3000, could you pls tell me out of all the cables that stretched which one had stretched the most?
***The cable attached to the parking brake pedal stretched about 3/4 of an inch. That one alone make a difference. When I replaced the other ones, my van wouldn't move with only ONE click from the pedal!

I'm going to do the shoes, cylinders, drums and bleed only because it's needed, but don't think it will solve the parking brake issue?
***I wouldn't be surprised but you have to start somewhere.

Could you also pls tell me if your parking brake works like mine? When I apply the parking brake it ratchets down until it stops at the bottom.
***Yes, before I replaced the cable.

Someone thought that it should come back up for a second push back down for more
tension?
***Never saw this happen to my parking brake.

Does the new pedal assy work the same as the old one?
***YES, I replaced it for no reason. Save your MONEY! Buy the Cable or Cables.

Is it possible that you could provide some info on how you replaced the cables?
***I didn't take any photos but I looked on line and used my Haynes Manual to figure out how to remove and replace them. You need a pair of VISE-GRIPS to keep tension on the rear brakes while you unlock the cable from the CLIP underneath the Driver Side. If you DYI type then I'm pretty sure you can figure it out. I highly recommend you have a friend help you out and if you can use a LIFT it will make this fix a whole lot easier. I think I was able to get this done in 3-4 hours with a friend helping me out.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 05-22-2015, 07:50 PM
Badmofo3000

Oh yeah, one more thing. I bought all my parts from rockauto.com

They got the best prices but you can most likely source your parts from pretty much any auto parts store.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:54 PM
riverjamie
Professional

Thanks very much for replying. It was a great help. I'll check out the manual to see how they did it? Because I'm going to do the rear brakes probably makes sense to do the cable at the same time because without all the springs in place should be able to remove cable easier?

Do I have to remove the pedal assy to install the new cable? Also does it require a special tool to keep the return spring held back or loaded? Any ideas you have for the front cable procedure would be helpful.

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide the information.

River

Old 05-23-2015, 08:54 AM
Badmofo3000

River,
You do not need to remove the pedal assy. The cable comes off easy once unclipped from underneath the driver side cable bracket. No special tools required for this job. The easiest cable to remove is the front cable, the once on the pedal assembly. The other cables are a pain because they are routed through areas of the frame. Also, you may have to remove certain parts to gain access to the hardware keeping the cable in place. Most of the time spent was removing the rear cables using colorful language from time to time.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:29 PM
riverjamie
Professional

Badmofo3000 by any chance do you remember what brand of cables you got from Rockauto? Raybestos, Wagner, AC Delco, or Dorman?

I found the AC Delco front cable at Amazon Prime so didn't have to pay for shipping.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking Brake Pedal Not working??