Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Hatch window

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Topher5150
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch window

so my 2000 hatch window got busted last night I was wondering how difficult would it be to extract one from the junk yard and re install it?

Old 06-28-2013, 05:17 PM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Difficulty in extracting one from a junk yard would depend on whether the junkyard owner would be willing to part with just the glass or require you to buy the whole liftgate. If you could get just the glass I would think the most difficult part would be getting the junkyard window off the donor liftgate without breaking it. It looks/sounds like it would require a certain amount of time and patience and probably a buddy to help you. As for installing, it looks like the hard part would be getting the glass on there and sealing it properly without dropping it. Again, a buddy would be helpful here.

Have you checked with your insurance company to see if they will cover the glass? If you absolutely must make this fix yourself, you might want to consider replacing the whole liftgate if it doesn't cost that much more.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Topher5150
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kuyabribri
Difficulty in extracting one from a junk yard would depend on whether the junkyard owner would be willing to part with just the glass or require you to buy the whole liftgate. If you could get just the glass I would think the most difficult part would be getting the junkyard window off the donor liftgate without breaking it. It looks/sounds like it would require a certain amount of time and patience and probably a buddy to help you. As for installing, it looks like the hard part would be getting the glass on there and sealing it properly without dropping it. Again, a buddy would be helpful here.

Have you checked with your insurance company to see if they will cover the glass? If you absolutely must make this fix yourself, you might want to consider replacing the whole liftgate if it doesn't cost that much more.
The insurance company was no help seeing that i only have pl/pd insurance and that there was no one to go after. I was thinking too that it might be more practical to just replace the entire tailgate as opposed to just the window, and seeing how the tailgate is decomposing it might help aesthetically.

Quick Reply: Hatch window