Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Spark Plug Location?

Old 07-07-2013, 01:29 AM
grayson1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Spark Plug Location? URGENT!

Hi guys, sorry I had to edit this post, but I have to take the DGC in the shop tomorrow, and it may or may not be covered by the warranty for this number 2 cylinder misfire, that's why I would like to change the spark plug to see if that helps, then I wouldn't have to take it in if it fixes it. So if anyone has an inkling of where the plugs could be, I would really appreciate it. If not, I will just have to hope for the best, that it is covered. The mechanic was confident it would be, but he wasn't 100% sure. And I can't afford the $200-and-some he said it would cost if it isn't covered.

I have a simple question. But one which apparently - after searching the engine and scouring the internet for hours to no avail - has no simple answer. And that question is,
Where in blue blazes are the spark plugs located in a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan? (Specifically, the no. 2 cylinder, but if I could be directed to at least the general area the spark plugs are in that would be helpful)

Are they under the air cleaner? I just don't want to start taking apart the vehicle unless I am relatively certain they are in the particular area that I am taking apart.

Thank you, anyone, for any help you can give.

Last edited by grayson1; 07-07-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

When looking at the engine, the cylinder head close to the radiator is the left cylinder head, that has cylinders #2,#4, and #6. The other side close to the bulkhead/firewall is the right side. Cylinders #1,#3, and #5.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:16 AM
grayson1

Thank you, Master Tech.
It's a little late to do anything on it tonight(it's 1am here), and my appointment is at 8 am tomorrow so I guess I will just have to pray that whatever the "test" finds out will be covered by the warranty.
That, and I am not mechanically inclined enough anyway with these newer cars to take it apart to find the plugs, but at least I know the general area to look next time. I think I will ask the mechanic tomorrow how exactly they get to them. Don't know if they will tell me all that, but I hope they do, because this engine is just weird to me. My brother looked at it, and he has worked on cars before, but even he couldn't figure out where they were located.

Thanks again for your reply and help, Master Tech!

Old 08-14-2013, 11:34 PM
indycolts78

I was having same problem. Took it to dealer and I had a bad cylinder. It's covered.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:52 PM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never poked around the 2011 engine bay so my advice is based on the picture from this page and assuming the 3.6L Pentastar is about the same across all Chrysler vehicles.

This looks like a coil-on-plug design. You need to remove that top cover (not sure how). In the picture you should see three rectangular black boxes under the throttle body. These are the coils. The plugs are underneath them. You will not find obvious spark plug wires on this vehicle as you would on a traditional coil, wire, and plug setup.

Note that this picture appears to be looking at the engine from the firewall side, so it will look different when you stand at the front of the vehicle. But look for those black blocks and the plugs should be underneath them.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:59 PM
crxmanpat
Rookie

I also searched this topic high and low on the internet, but found no definitive answer anywhere. So I started pulling stuff off until I found them so that I could change them.

I don't have any pics, but I will describe how to get to the spark plugs on the Pentastar 3.6L V6 motor (and this is specific to the 2011+ Grand Caravan/T&C, but could be similar for other vehicles with this motor).

First, pull off the cover on top of the motor, the plastic one that says "3.6Lvvt" on top. It's just a snap on cover, so it pulls right off. Next, release the three clips that hold the air filter box together (this would be a good time to check the air filter and replace if necessary). Then loosen the far right clamp screw on the air tube that runs from the air filter box to the resonator, and disconnect the air flow sensor. Remove the air filter cover/air tube/valve cover feed hose (the feed hose just slides on and off, just pull it off the valve cover).

Once all that is out of the way, remove the resonator. There are no screws, it just slides out from behind the intake manifold and from the throttle body. At this point you can get to the plugs on the back side of the motor (do these three first before moving on to the 3 on the front). If you look at the pic that kuyabribri linked to above, you can see the three coil packs. Just disconnect the electrical connection, use a 10mm socket to remove the screws, and pull the coil pack straight out. Use caution when removing or installing the spark plugs as the tube walls are thin and can be damaged easily.

Once the rear plugs are done, it's time to move on to the front. You will need loosen all the upper screws on the plastic intake manifold. It's the black plastic piece that was directly under the cover you pulled off in step 1. There are a total of 7 or 8 bolts to loosen from the top, and two nuts to remove from the front (under the radiator hose), before it can be moved. You will not be removing the manifold completely, so no need to disconnect all the wires. The top bolts also do not come out completely, so just loosen them enough so that the manifold can be moved. Once all the bolts/nuts have been loosened/removed, move the manifold towards the rear of the bay. Underneath will be a foam pad that just lifts out, and you then have access to the front 3 plugs. Remove and replace.

Reassemble the parts in reverse order.

If you want to use OEM plugs, they are Champion Iridium, part number CHA 9407. I hope this helps the next person who needs to change the plugs in their vehicle.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Madkins7
Default Replacement of spark plugs video

Thanks for the info... I made a video of my experience.... Hope this helps someone

http://youtu.be/qOXDqmDmAtw

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Spark Plug Location?