Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

i got troubles....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 01:42 AM
Nash
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i got troubles....

So our 2003 Caravan started acting up about a year ago. It would start and then stall out a few seconds later. I thought OK the key is worn out and the chip isn't reading properly. So $200 later we got a new key and didn't have any more problems for quite some time. Then a few months ago, the same thing seemed to happen on an almost weekly occurance, but would always start within five minutes or so. Today it wouldn't start at all. Seven hours later we called a tow truck and of course it started right up for the tow operator. Found out I could turn the key a few times to bring up stored codes, but a P1684 code (something to do with the battery) came up. What gives?

Old 07-26-2013, 10:37 AM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's the code indicating that the batter has been disconnected within the last 50 starts. Have you had any repair/service work done recently, or disconnected the battery yourself? If not, this code would be a strong indicator of either a bad/loose battery wire or connector, or perhaps even the battery itself going South. It would also tend to explain random shut-downs. If you don't do this type of work yourself, take it into a shop and ask them to check the above items.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the starter rotate the engine or do you just get a click when you turn the key?

Quick Reply: i got troubles....