Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Trouble with power doors

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 11:07 AM
tingea
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trouble with power doors

Hi - I've been having a lot of trouble with my power doors lately. I have a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with two power doors: passenger side sliding door and the rear hatch.

The passenger side sliding door operates normally in opening and closing, but when closing it won't latch completely and would stay 1/2" out of the locked position until I manually push the door in. it makes a loud sound like it's trying to latch, but fails every time.

on the rear hatch, it won't open automatically and would make a sound like it is skipping gears, even when operated manually.

my questions are, how easy is it to fix each of the two issues? and if not an easy fix, is there a way to disengage the power mechanisms so that I can operate the doors manually (they are very heavy to operate especially the sliding door for little kids).

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by tingea; 11-22-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:21 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

i beleive u have to calibrate the side door fully open and close positions. not sure if it can be done without scan tool. pm tizzy or master mech they might know.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:55 PM
tingea

I think you may be right, after closer inspection I found the front guide pin is misaligned with the guiding hole, this may be the problem that started the issue, but I think it's the latch at the rear end of the door that is not working probably. do you know how difficult is it to replace?

Old 08-12-2013, 12:39 PM
bw619

Did you find a solution? I am having the same problem with my '05 GC. Passenger sliding door closes but won't latch completely.

Quick Reply: Trouble with power doors