Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2012 Caravan Transmission Problem w/update

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 10:37 PM
jphjah99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Caravan Transmission Problem w/update

I have a 2012 Grand Caravan that has the transmission PCM update applied. While this helped, this transmision still performs poorly. None of what I describe is easily reproduced, so it is very hard to explain the specific problem. It shifts abruptly, when accelerating from a rolling stop, the transmission seems to slip or take a second to engage, and at times, a subtle clunk when shifting. I do not use Econ mode because it performs so poorly, but that is normal for Econ mode. Does anyone else seem to have the same issues even after the flash update?

Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 AM
rfielder
Amateur

I picked up a 2011 GCV a few weeks ago, and am trying to find time to get to the Chrysler dealership to ask about the transmission update.

The van is horrible in Eco mode. Starts in second, then a big Bang! into whatever comes next - likely 4th.

Always shifts to 6th gear as soon as possible, so that if you try to accelerate gently what you get is a lugging motor - trying to move that much metal from just over idle speed may sound great for fuel economy, but it does NOT work well in the real world!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, an an increasingly common complaint on this and other forums. Sometimes the update corrects everything, sometimes it doesn't. There's no clear fix I've seen.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:57 PM
priorityfour

Hello: Equally we had the transmission PCM update completed approx. 5 months ago and the significant improvement was immediate. Over the past 6-8 weeks though we have faced once again the increasing "hard knock" usually when shifting from Park to Reverse.

I am not happy in having to go back to the dealership. Prior to this, the consistent problem has been brakes brakes brakes. Will now need to add the reoccurring transmission issue.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:56 AM
rfielder
Amateur

Originally Posted by priorityfour
I am not happy in having to go back to the dealership. Prior to this, the consistent problem has been brakes brakes brakes. Will now need to add the reoccurring transmission issue.
This may belong in a separate discussion, but - what is the problem with your brakes?

Old 08-26-2013, 05:51 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

Originally Posted by rfielder
This may belong in a separate discussion, but - what is the problem with your brakes?

doing mine soon 35000km and they close to being done. getting bad shake while braking.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:02 PM
priorityfour

Hello rfielder: With respect to our Caravan brakes, both the brakes & rotors have been replaced @ approx. 14,000 & 30,000kl. The changes have taken place each Spring. We know this is happening because while driving there will be a noted squeel that stops once the brakes are applied. Several times there has been a very strong scent from the brakes. The dealership advises that salt from the Winter (here in northern Ontario) has caused things to seize. Neither time the dealership has charged for what i can categorize as very premature wear. I fully believe that Chrysler is quite aware of this ongoing problem.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The clunk sound maybe from the axle nuts. Torque them to 160 to 180 foot pounds and also tighten the front motor mount bolt.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:45 AM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
The clunk sound maybe from the axle nuts. Torque them to 160 to 180 foot pounds and also tighten the front motor mount bolt.
Are you sure about the torque spec for the axle nut?
I think the spec for 2008 thru present vans is 118 foot pounds. The 180 foot pounds applies for 1984 thru 2007 vans.

George

Old 09-06-2013, 12:14 PM
rfielder
Amateur

Had my van in to have the cam phasers replaced, and asked about the transmission.

The dealership stated that "there have been no updates for this transmission". Mine is a 2011 DGC, 3.6L, 6 speed auto.

In a later call, the service rep stated that the complaint about the transmission are very common, and mentioned hoping for an update from Chrysler.

I see a lot of people here mention transmission updates. Are they restricted to the USA? I am in Canada.

Quick Reply: 2012 Caravan Transmission Problem w/update