Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

front end noise help please

Old 09-07-2013, 02:41 PM
fsh4fun
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end noise help please

hello everyone i have a 2000 grand caravan sport with 110k miles on it and i am having a clicking noise ( sounds like horse hooves on pavement) coming from my front drivers side tire area. i believe i have narrowed it down to a tranny issue because when i lift the tire and spin it i can hear the noise and feel a vibration coming from the top section of the cover behind it which i believe is part of the tranny here is a video of the noise while driving and a photo of the area i can feel the vibration when i place my hand on it while tire is spinning

any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Attached Thumbnails front end noise  help please-0907131422.jpg  
Old 09-10-2013, 04:03 PM
fsh4fun

anyone know what i will find behind the cover? ive tried looking for a tranny diagram but cant seem to locate one. if anyone knows where i can find one that would be helpful. i am planning on tearing into it this weekend but just hoping to know what i am looking at first

Old 09-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Behind the covers is the transfer gears. Probably not the issue. The issue is probably the differential pin let go and is beating the cr@p out of the case. If it makes more noise on a decal, good chance it is your issue.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:56 PM
fsh4fun

is it a difficult part to get to and change? i noticed it was a cheap part. the noise stays consistent and just speeds up with car and slows down when van does nothing i do while driving makes it worse or better. i am confused cause it drives and shifts great no hesitation or other noises

Old 09-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can see for sure by removing the diff cover on the rear. The pin holds the pinion gears and comes loose so it rides out and hits the case. Let it go long enough and it makes a hole in the case and then you have to replace the case. There was a new retainer to keep the pin in if I remember correctly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front end noise help please