Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 - Remote start WIN kit discontinued??

Old 10-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2008 - Remote start WIN kit discontinued??

I recently learned on this forum that a clever fix for bad win module involved purchasing a dealer upgrade to remote start. The kit is about $275 and labor is around $150.

However I was about to move forward with this plan when I noticed the 2008 Grand Caravan is no longer listed in the accessory catalog for remote start kit!! They show a kit for 2009-2010 (#82212192). This is quite depressing in light of the fact that 2008 caravans probably have the worst history of bad win modules.

Then I found some old parts listings that seem to suggest the kit was designed to fit 2008-2010, not just 2009-2010. Anybody know what's up with this hole in their remote start kit application listings on the internet?

Is it fair to assume that vehicles having power passenger doors but no power rear hatch still use the 7-button remote starter kit with rear hatch button?

How can I tell if this kit will work with my '08 SXT with power side doors but no power rear hatch??

I also see some confusion on the internet about whether the remote start WIN kit now comes with 1 fobik or 2.

thanks for any help

Last edited by Lscman; 10-07-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, don't take this as law because electrical stuff is weird. But '08 was it's own system and they had tons of problems with the win's as you said so that system was cancelled quite a while ago. But as far as I know, the '09-'10 system has been cancelled as well. If you look up a replacement win module, the part numbers for '08 and for '09 are different. I believe the manufacturer is different between the two but that only matters for the keys. The connectors for the module are the same between years so they would plug in. So I can't guarantee it but I see no reason a system for the '09 model wouldn't work on the '08. I might actually have an '08 system at home, would have to look and let you know. Oh, and your other question, they come in 3 button and seven button for the fobik so if you have any power doors, you get the seven button and it will work what you have.

FYI, the part number for the '08 system is 82210987AD, there was a dealer in Indiana / Illinois somewhere that showed they had one. Your dealer should be able to check.

Last edited by Tizzy1; 10-07-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Lscman
Veteran

Wow, thanks tizzy. It would be really interesting to know whether 2009-10 WIN hardware will retrofit to 2008. Finding a dealer willing to try it may be another matter, since the Dodge factory doesn't seem to know what to do about the WIN module mess and they continue to stock a bunch of them of multiple mfr and vintage. There may be some software program tweaking with timing and such going on between the various computers in the car which makes mizxing and matching impossible. For example, body and powertrain module software may change in 2009.

I agree their parts replacement program may be geared to maintain compatibility between keys and modules. However I did notice the '08 factory fobiks sold on ebay work for 2009-10 vehicles so that kinda blows that theory. That said, maybe the newer '09-'10 keys work on '08's but not the other way around.

I'd be fine with doing a regular ole' WIN replacement where the WIN lists for under $200, then pay 2 hrs labor to replace it. However the going rate for this job seems to be in the range of $600-$1K, as opposed to the theoretical subtotal which should be around $400 when reusing old fobik keys.

Last edited by Lscman; 10-07-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

WIN labor is 3.4 hrs and should include programming. I hear you, modules are crazy and trying to figure out what will work can sometimes be impossible. And nobody wants to be liable for we tried this and now this is bad. Then half the time you replace the win and then the keys won't program so you need new keys anyway, ching. Not pretty.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Lscman
Veteran

Tizzy, you are big help here & thanks

It's kinda weird that a win replacement pays 3 hrs when the old XBM remote start kit with switch install, antenna and harness mods paid less than that. Perhaps they are adding a cushion to cover all the issues you mentioned. I think work involved with remote start could easily take over 4 hrs.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

What it pays and what it takes is two different things. The guy in our shop that installs the remote start kits does so in a little over an hour. But he also does a ton of them and gets a groove going. Probably take me the 4 hours. I remember back in the day I could put an evaporator coil in an Intrepid in about an hour. I think they pay between 9 and 10 hours now. But I must have done a thousand of them under warranty, got pretty good at them.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Lscman
Veteran

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
What it pays and what it takes is two different things. The guy in our shop that installs the remote start kits does so in a little over an hour. But he also does a ton of them and gets a groove going. Probably take me the 4 hours. I remember back in the day I could put an evaporator coil in an Intrepid in about an hour. I think they pay between 9 and 10 hours now. But I must have done a thousand of them under warranty, got pretty good at them.
For the record, the last 2008 starter kit in the Dodge-Chrysler dealership network has been sold. The dealership Tizzy mentioned above got a flood of calls in the last 2 weeks due to this thead.

Somebody local got it, not me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 - Remote start WIN kit discontinued??