Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: carbon cleaning engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 03:25 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon cleaning engine

would you do seafoam on a 2010 grand caravan thru the vaccum tube of the brake booster? think throw code? what would you use in the gas?

Old 08-16-2014, 05:56 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you saying you have a code and you're trying to get rid of it or are you saying you just want to start down the road of using additives as preventative maintenance? If it's the latter don't. Maybe dry gas at the most and only if you live in the muck back east. The government mandates all gasoline will have detergent additives so no matter if you spend $4 a gallon at a CHevron or Shell station or $3.75 at Joe's Best Gas, your engine is getting cleaned. If it's the previous, what is going on?

Old 08-16-2014, 07:08 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

no code cougar41. I figured it be more of preventive. I used some of the sts fuel injector cleaner. used 5ltrs of 91 octane and 84 mid to fill. seems to run slightly better. I have a slight hesistantion on idle. rpm gauge 600 to 700 rpm bouncing like max 100rpm. think I might got bad gas at a station with water possibly. I was thinking replacing the pcv valve as well see if that help and re check the throttle body that I cleaned like 2 weeks back. maybe dirty again.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:24 PM
04 Quadcab
Rookie
Default no need to clean out carbon

New cars, actually any car built for the last 20 years, if maintained properly with spark plug changes, oil changes, and air cleaner changes at recommended intervals, and if no problems have developed with the injectors, do not develop large carbon deposits like cars of the olden days. Fuel injection delivers precise amounts of fuel, unlike the old carburetors that ran rich and over choked at cold temperatures, resulting in carbon buildup. Tear down a well maintained late model engine and you'll find no heavy carbon.
Don't dump a bunch of additives like Seafoam into your engine. It doesn't need it, and you may cause more problems than you'd ever cure.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:00 PM
vipergg
Rookie

Get a bottle of Chevron Techron 'fuel system cleaner and use it when you are going on an extended highway trip. This will clean the fuel system and should be all you need .Do this after every oil change . No it's not real cheap at $10-12 a bottle but sometimes they have it on sale.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:42 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

ok guys I had it on a long run today. still has the hesitation but not so bad. i think next fill up i use the mid grade fuel only and back to regular. still noticing also bad shifts also at realy slower speeds on the stop and go too. seems tranny not changing them right but i think this is normal as best ive read for this 6 speeds. just keep a eye on it.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:59 PM
tjnc
Professional

I use $5.00 "complete fuel system cleaner" by STP from my local station along with a fill up of ethanol-free regular..

I'm not sure the difference between tank and booster hose for SeaFoam. I do know these solutions, along with oil flushes and cleaner additive oils, are great for finding valve seal wear, ring wear, main bearing wear, and gasket leaks.

I know some interesting things about fuel tanker logistics that contradict a lot of things around this subject.. Also there are clinical studies that show they all reduce deposits and condition things over long periods of regular usage only, no one shot wonders..

Last edited by tjnc; 08-19-2014 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: carbon cleaning engine