Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 01:01 AM
Tigeracosta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Transmission Problem

I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan. I need some help in figuring out what the problem is. Here are the "symptoms"...

1. When its cold if you put it in gear jerks and turns the engine off.
2. When you stop sometimes turns the engine off.
3. The transmission sometimes jerks when it goes into gear.
4. You can give it gas and when it goes to 2nd gear sometimes turns the engine off.

What do you think? Do I need to buy a new transmission?

Old 04-30-2011, 01:19 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Have you had the transmission module checked for codes? I would say either the torque converter is locking up when it shouldn't or the planetary gears are binding inside the transmission. I would recommend to have a tear down and inspect or a reman transmission.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Tigeracosta

The code is P0700.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:37 AM
vitual

P0700 tells that there is a code in TCM. Did you get TCM scanned for any code ?? If not i think that might be next best step.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:29 PM
dannyl

I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan I just had a transmission flush done on it, it has 168,000 miles, it was running great. However it had a small leak on the transmission solenoid. Now when I am accelerating it does ok however when I am coming to a stop at 25 to 30 mph it clunks and I feel it through the pedal. There is no smoke or any burning smell but just wanting to know what the clunking sound is and the jerking is, it does not do it often.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 PM
sggib
Question

Originally Posted by dannyl
I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan I just had a transmission flush done on it, it has 168,000 miles, it was running great. However it had a small leak on the transmission solenoid. Now when I am accelerating it does ok however when I am coming to a stop at 25 to 30 mph it clunks and I feel it through the pedal. There is no smoke or any burning smell but just wanting to know what the clunking sound is and the jerking is, it does not do it often.
'02 GC Sport 3.3/V6 w/88,000 - Having the same issue, clunks when slowing aournd 25 to 30 mph with a slight bump in RPMs. Only happening when I go above approx. 40mph. Just started doing this about 5 days ago. I had the xmsn fluid flushed 3 days ago, no filter change, still happening. No check engine light. Looking for direction on troubleshooting / solving the problem.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:40 AM
curtpelky
Exclamation 2002 Grand Caravan

I also am having problems with an '02 Caravan. It goes down the road just fine, however, it is stuttering when stopped. It won't do it all of the time. There are weeks when it will never do it, then it just starts again. Does anyone else besides me think that this is just a solenoid or wiring problem? Or do you think it is actually the torque converter going bad. When the codes have been scanned, it throws TC codes, but, it is the wifies car, and I can't remember what she said it was. I am knew to the site, and am not sure how to post a topic........

Old 04-19-2013, 07:10 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I would have both members that are having problems with down shifting. Have the modules scan for codes and check the cvi the 2/4 maybe the cause. Also check for updates for the modules too. And are you using ATF+4 fluid?

Old 04-24-2013, 06:32 PM
curtpelky

The only codes that are really coming up over and over, are the P0740. It says that the TCM wiring is open. At Autozone, we determined that to stand for Torque Convertor Control. And they list a Torque Convertor Solenoid, but since their cost was so low, I called the Dodge dealer to see how much their's was. Dodge calls the part for the P0740 code a solenoid pack, and is much more expensive.

Yes, we are only using authorized tranny fluid in the vehicle. Do you think that both the part from Autozone, and the one from Dodge are the same? Or should I just go with Dodge? I am not really leaning toward a Torque Convertor going bad, because that seems to be one of the things that Dodge has always built right. The only problem is that when stopped, the Caravan is attempting to lurch forward....and couple that with the codes it could be either problem. The reason that I am trying to get as much info as possible is because I work a lonnnnggg way from home, and when I get back, I will only have a limited amount of time to make sure that the wife and kids a driving a reliable vehicle.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:38 PM
curtpelky

BTW..... and I hope that this doesn't make me sound too ignorant..... but, what do cvi and 2/4 stand for? I have been working on railroad signal systems forever, and am losing my automotive edge lol (constant velocity I.....?)

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Transmission Problem