Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Electrical Weird Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Danny1976
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Weird Stuff

I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan 2.4L. The light (Parking lights front and back) blink intermittent with no pattern, when the car is off and no keys in the ignition. I checked the battery and and also check the battery with the lights and car on to see of the battery was good and also the alternator. The battery load was good. If the alternator and battery are good, What could be causing the lights to blink? It has also done it while the car is running. I notice it today by looking at the reflection of the car in front of me. The parking front lights blinked once. I have an after market alarm system and also an after market power window kit. I have issues with the after market power window kit and maybe the alarm or the power window may be the issue.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have answered your own question. Look into disconnecting that AM alarm system. Other than that, check connections and try a tap check at the IPM/FCM. Power is always applied at the coil and output contacts of the parking lamp relay. The coil is just looking for a ground from the Front Control Module (FCM) to pull the contacts closed and turn on the lights.

Could be data bus related. An easy trick is to remove the IOD/Memory fuse for 2-3 minutes to reset the data bus/BCM.

IPM - Fuse box
FCM - Bolted to front of IPM
Park lights relay - In the IPM

Last edited by Cougar41; 11-07-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Danny1976
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cougar41
You may have answered your own question. Look into disconnecting that AM alarm system. Other than that, check connections and try a tap check at the IPM/FCM. Power is always applied at the coil and output contacts of the parking lamp relay. The coil is just looking for a ground from the Front Control Module (FCM) to pull the contacts closed and turn on the lights.

Could be data bus related. An easy trick is to remove the IOD/Memory fuse for 2-3 minutes to reset the data bus/BCM.

IPM - Fuse box
FCM - Bolted to front of IPM
Park lights relay - In the IPM
Thanks for the quick reply and just confirming what the issue may be. Both the after market alarm and power windows were installed by a company in 2003. I know wires were cut to install the alarm and I am not sure how I would go about disconnecting. I know both the alarm and power window were the cheap kind and yes you get what you pay for. I don't want to remove the alarm completely, because it does the power locks. What on the alarm could be causing it? A fuse?

Quick Reply: Electrical Weird Stuff