Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2009 Grand Caravan gas consumption

Old 11-25-2013, 04:33 AM
goldyliang
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Grand Caravan gas consumption

I bought the used 2009 Grand Caravan for almost two months. When I mostly use it in city (around half high way in 70 km/hour), I found its gas consumption is only 11~12 mpg (19 ~21 Litters per 100 km), which is very poor for me. I have several samples which are very consistent. Several times when the tank is empty, half or 2/3, I refill the tank and mark down the miles, and calculate the mpg since the last refill, and I got very consistent number as 11~12 mpg. I have no chance for running long way on high way in these two months until yesterday.

Just yesterday I got a chance to run further to a town around 35km away almost all in highway. I refilled the tank, mark the miles and refilled again in the same station, and marked down the miles. The result surprised me that I only refill 7.5 litters for 75km run, which is translated to 23~24 mpg, which shall be good for a van. For this sample, is it too short a distance for the measurement?

If the measurement of yesterday is a valid sample, then I got confusion. Is the gas consumption of 11~12 mpg in city, and 23~24 mpg in highway normal? Is it because of my driving habit in city? I do not press the accellator hard, and avoid breaking too many. Beside this, what other habit should I have when driving in cities so as to improve the mpg. And is my van normal and need more checking?

The van is a 2009 25-year anniversary version, with FlexFuel (but I only fill #87 gas in shell). I ever read some posts saying that the FlexFuel version may have a design fault that cause high gas consumption. Any other user of this version of van that can share your experience?

Thanks!

Last edited by goldyliang; 11-25-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:36 AM
lovvorn
Banned
Default 2010 3.3 flex fuel

I get less milage on high alchol fuel ! I use non alchol fuel because the regular gas evaporates soon & gets 1/3 less milage.
I also notice increased power off low alcohl 93 or off road fuel about the same price . I usually get 23+ mpg avg. & 15+ on pump 87 good luck

Old 11-25-2013, 01:10 PM
_Tom
Exclamation mpgs

Hi,
just to make sure, when we're talking about MPGs, it's the proper US gallon (3.78L) not the imperial gallon (4.x L)... I only mention that because crafty Canadian Marketers will tell you that a ford f150 will get 30mpg... and the equivalent US f150 will get less....end rant...

In my 2008 GC, 3.3v6,

I've noticed that my all-city consumption is around 16L/100km

My mostly city with a few hwy trips is closer to 14L/100km

my mostly hwy trips with some city are around 10L/100km

I haven't been able to do all hwy trips to see what that is, but I expect it to be around 8L/100km

I did a tune up yesterday and noticed that the spark plugs were the original factory platinum tipped champion plugs that had a gap as large as David Letterman's front teeth.

I put in new iridium plugs and new wires in hopes of some improvement.

I have new O2 sensors that I will change once I get around to it as well.

Only problem now is that it's real cold outside -5*c and monitoring fuel economy in the cold is useless as it's going to be bad regardless.

Overall I'd say your numbers are about right, as I think mine would be closer to yours as there's rarely any more than 3 of us in the van at any one time. I could see the 3.3 being stressed carrying 5 or 6 adults resulting in even worse fuel economy. Only "good" way of monitoring is to fill the tank, put in a solid few hundred kms, refuel, and calculate.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:43 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by goldyliang
I bought the used 2009 Grand Caravan for almost two months. When I mostly use it in city (around half high way in 70 km/hour), I found its gas consumption is only 11~12 mpg (19 ~21 Litters per 100 km), which is very poor for me. I have several samples which are very consistent. Several times when the tank is empty, half or 2/3, I refill the tank and mark down the miles, and calculate the mpg since the last refill, and I got very consistent number as 11~12 mpg. I have no chance for running long way on high way in these two months until yesterday.

Just yesterday I got a chance to run further to a town around 35km away almost all in highway. I refilled the tank, mark the miles and refilled again in the same station, and marked down the miles. The result surprised me that I only refill 7.5 litters for 75km run, which is translated to 23~24 mpg, which shall be good for a van. For this sample, is it too short a distance for the measurement?

If the measurement of yesterday is a valid sample, then I got confusion. Is the gas consumption of 11~12 mpg in city, and 23~24 mpg in highway normal? Is it because of my driving habit in city? I do not press the accellator hard, and avoid breaking too many. Beside this, what other habit should I have when driving in cities so as to improve the mpg. And is my van normal and need more checking?

The van is a 2009 25-year anniversary version, with FlexFuel (but I only fill #87 gas in shell). I ever read some posts saying that the FlexFuel version may have a design fault that cause high gas consumption. Any other user of this version of van that can share your experience?

Thanks!

Goldyliang,

I haven't heard of any gas consumption issues with the these vehicles. The actual fuel consumption of your vehicle will vary depending how aggressivley and how fast you drive, and factors such as outside temperature, weather, traffic, and road conditions. The operating condition of your vehicle, as well as the types of power-driven accessories (eg. A/C) and external factors (eg. roof racks) installed on your vehicle which also affects your fuel use.

In addition to Tom's comments, it is extremely difficult to properly review a fuel consumption concern during winter months. If you have any concerns I would suggest contacting your dealer when the weather warms up. The EnerGuide has several driving and maintenance tips that can help reduce a vehicle's fuel consumption:

1. Reduce excessive idling - According to the Ministry of Natural Resouces, in most cases, you need no more then 2-3 minutes of idling from a cold start on winter days.
2. Reduce Idling- If you are stopped for more then 60 seconds, except in traffic, turn off your engine. it has minimal impact on the starter system and idling more then 10 seconds uses more fuel then it takes to restart your vehicle.
3. Do not over use the remote starter
4. Use a block heater in the winter to warm up the engine before starting. A cold engine is at its worstfor fuel consumption, engine wear and exhaust emissions.
5. Warm up your vehicle by driving at a moderate speed.
6. Check tire pressures. Tires under-inflated by just 2 psi can reduce economy by as much as 1%.

I hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 Grand Caravan gas consumption