Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Piece of Metal in Cooling System

Old 11-24-2013, 09:03 PM
amgp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piece of Metal in Cooling System

I have a 2010 Grand Caravan SXT 4.0L with 53,000 miles that was not getting up to normal operating temperature and was giving trouble codes P0128 and P2181.

I figured it was the thermostat, so I removed it to install a new one. Sure enough, the thermostat was stuck in the open position, but it wasn't due to a bad thermostat. There was an aluminum shaving lodged in the thermostat holding it open. The piece of metal has probably been floating around in the cooling system since the engine was manufactured. Pretty sloppy....

Old 11-25-2013, 08:30 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be sloppy but have you thought the other side coin that its actually a issue? could be aluminum part failing. I not sure issue but don't assume it was a bad from beginning.

Originally Posted by amgp
I have a 2010 Grand Caravan SXT 4.0L with 53,000 miles that was not getting up to normal operating temperature and was giving trouble codes P0128 and P2181.

I figured it was the thermostat, so I removed it to install a new one. Sure enough, the thermostat was stuck in the open position, but it wasn't due to a bad thermostat. There was an aluminum shaving lodged in the thermostat holding it open. The piece of metal has probably been floating around in the cooling system since the engine was manufactured. Pretty sloppy....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Piece of Metal in Cooling System