Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Alternator Pulley Replacement - Instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 10:31 PM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xr500
Does anyone know how to make or where to rent tools to remove decoupler pulley??
I was not able to find anyone renting or loaning this tool. So I bought a 1/2" Hillman coupling nut from Lowes, and expanded the hole out to 9/16". This allowed a standard 10mm 1/4" drive socket to slide up inside the coupling nut and lock onto the alternator shaft. The outer of the coupling nut might need to be taken down just a hair in order to fit into the 17mm "countering" female hex opening on the pulley (but mine did not). I locked the extended part of the coupling nut into a vise, which along with 2 points of the alternator, provided a sturdy triangular platform to counter the torque. But you could also put a 17mm wrench on the coupling nut, maybe with a pipe extension on it to help avoid busting your buttons. Remember that for pulley removal it goes clockwise on the inner, and counter-clockwise on the outer. It does "feel wrong" to turn the inner clockwise to remove. I believe that most DIYers who fail on this job try to do the removal by turning the inner counter-clockwise.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:43 AM
xr500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I missed this initially, because I didn't realize the thread went to two pages.

Thanks you very much cv2003, this really helps alot. I think I am ready to try this now.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Alternator Pulley Replacement - Instructions?