Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 Caravan rear wiper update...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 06:39 PM
dave73
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used a dremel tool with a cutter disc to remove the metal dimpled part to fit my arm on.i cut a line across the top and the bottom and pooped it off in 2 pieces as well

Old 04-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The small aluminum sleeve that sticks to the shaft and needs cut off is actually part of the old 2008-2010 wiper arm. They didn't change the design of the motor shaft in 2011 and up, just the arm and blade. The early wiper arms are made of plastic and they have a tapered aluminum sleeve molded into them. The plastic arm typically cracks where it's molded around the sleeve and when the wiper arm is yanked off the sleeve sticks on the tapered, splined motor shaft. When the early wipers seem to slip adjustment and park on your metal hatch lid instead of the window, it is due to a cracked plastic arm which allows the sleeve to move in the arm.

The tapered sleeve is fairly thin and flimsy and can be cut through or split open and removed with a metal file, hacksaw, grinding disk or dremel. It took me seconds with an air grinder and 3" disk. Very few shops will have a puller small enough and there's no way to pry it off.

PS: One piece of advice for tightwads here. Take it from me lol, DON'T buy the Chinese aftermarket replacement arm kit for these vans. It has a flip up hood cover for the nut instead of a round cap. They cost about $20 less on fleabay and some discount stores but it does not fit properly. The center hole to fit over the motor shaft is too small and the tapered hole to fit over the splined motor shaft is also too small. You could spend hours trying to modify it to fit and it will likely slip on the shaft when the wiper freezes from winter snow or ice. Tapered shaft tolerances must be exact to grip well. You can't just hog it out with a drill or grinding bit. To add insult to injury, the wiper blade that comes with the Chinese kit is almost 2" shorter than factory.

Buy the OEM parts. I found the factory wiper arm, factory cap and factory blade sold by a dodge dealer on fleabay for $55 w free shipping. I think the 3 parts list for about $85.

Last edited by Lscman; 04-11-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy GCsxt
Hey guys, good forum you guys have here, this is my first posting so, I hope I'm posting in the right place. I have a 2008 Grand Caravan SXT, the rear wiper arm (the part that goes around the shaft) broke. So I called the dealer for a replacement and they said there's been an update. They switched from the plastic to the metal type. Ended up ordering it of off Ebay, same part #
As the dealer specified 6807 8306 AA. Problem is the shaft has a thick, griddy metal ring that use to hold the plastic wiper on and the hole on the new metal wiper arm is to small to go over the ring on the shaft. I called the dealer that I bought the wiper arm from (ebay), he said to use a puller to get the ring off. Anyone heard of this procedure. I looked at some reviews on amazon for the new wiper arm and some said it fits and some said it didn't, one guy drilled the hole in the new metal wiper arm bigger. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance guys!

The new style factory OEM wiper arms for 2008 and up Grand Caravans ALL have an open hole in the end where the nut goes on which requires a separate round plastic push plug to cover this hole.

Aftermarket wiper arms have a spring loaded plastic hood cover on the motor shaft end instead of a round plug. These arms are visibly different. They are actually a universal Chinese part that does NOT fit the Grand Caravan properly. Specifically, the Chinese part has an undersize hole that will not fit over the motor shaft threaded end and the tapered hole is also too small for the splined motor shaft. The taper must be precise to grip or the arm will slip when torque rises from ice or snow buildup. The Chinese part is often misrepresented with a dodge part#, steer clear of it.

Last edited by Lscman; 04-11-2015 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 Caravan rear wiper update...