Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Park Brake Shoe Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 02:57 PM
BINOVC
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Park Brake Shoe Replacement

I seem to have misplaced my Chilton's. I will be replacing my park brake shoes soon (2002 GC, 2WD, all disk brakes). Do the rear hubs need to be removed first?? If someone has a step-by-step that would be great. I guess we drove around with the e-brake on one too many times, as you really need to push down on the pedal to get it to hold. But 217K miles, and seems to be hanging in there for its age. Hopefully this job will be much easier that replacing the rear valve cover gasket which I did last weekend!
Thanks!

Old 04-14-2014, 03:03 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

REMOVAL
AWD only - Set the parking brake. The parking brake is set to keep the hub/bearing and axle shaft from rotating when loosening the hub nut.
Raise vehicle. (Refer to LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE/HOISTING - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
AWD only - Remove the cotter pin and nut retainer (Cotter Pin And Nut Retainer) from the stub shaft of the outer C/V joint.
AWD only - Remove the spring washer (Spring Washer) from the stub shaft of the outer C/V joint.
AWD only - Remove the hub nut and washer (Hub Nut And Washer) from the stub shaft of the outer C/V joint.
Release the parking brake.
Create slack in the rear park brake cables by locking the out the automatic adjuster as described. Grasp the exposed section of front park brake cable and pull downward on it. Then install a pair of locking pliers on the front park brake cable just rearward of the second body outrigger bracket (Locking Out Automatic Adjuster).
Remove the disc brake caliper to adapter guide pin bolts (Removing Caliper Guide Pin Bolts).
Remove rear caliper from adapter using the following procedure. First rotate front of caliper up from the adapter. Then pull the rear of the caliper and the outboard brake shoe anti-rattle clip out from under the rear abutment on the adapter (Removing/Installing Caliper).
Support caliper to prevent the weight of the caliper from damaging the flexible brake hose (Correctly Supported Caliper).
Remove the rotor from the hub/bearing.
Remove the park brake cable mounting bolt to adapter.
Remove the end of the park brake cable from the actuator lever on the adapter (Park Brake Cable Attachment To Actuator).
Remove the end of the park brake cable from the adapter. Park brake cable is removed from adapter using a 1/2 wrench slipped over the park brake cable retainer as show in (Park Brake Cable Removal From Adapter) to compress the locking tabs on the park brake cable retainer.
AWD only - Remove ABS wheel speed sensor head from hub/bearing (Speed Sensor Attaching Bolt (AWD)).
FWD only - Remove the ABS wheel speed sensor from the hub/bearing in the following fashion:
Remove secondary (yellow) retaining clip at rear of wheel speed sensor head (Sensor Connection At Hub And Bearing).
Push up on metal retaining clip (Sensor Connection At Hub And Bearing) until it bottoms. This will release wheel speed sensor head from hub and bearing. While holding metal clip up, pull back on wheel speed sensor head removing it from hub and bearing.
Remove wheel speed sensor from hub/bearing.
Remove the hub/bearing-to-axle mounting bolts (Hub/Bearing Mounting Bolts (AWD Shown)).
Remove the hub/bearing (Hub/Bearing Removal/Installation (AWD Shown)).
CAUTION: Corrosion may occur between the hub/bearing and the axle flange. If this occurs, the hub/bearing will be difficult to remove from the axle and disc brake caliper adapter. If the hub/bearing will not come out by pulling on it by hand, don't not pound on it with a hammer. Pounding on the hub/bearing will damage it. To remove a hub/bearing that is corroded in place, lightly tap the disc brake caliper adapter using a soft-face hammer. This will remove both the caliper adapter and hub/bearing together from the axle. With a helper supporting the caliper adapter in his hands, position Remover, Special Tool 8214-1, on the cast housing of hub/bearing (Hub/Bearing Removal From Caliper Adapter). Do not position the special tool on the inner race of hub/bearing. Lightly strike the Remover with a hammer to remove the hub/bearing from the caliper adapter.

Remove the adapter from the rear axle.
Mount the adapter in a vise using the anchor boss for the park brake cable (Adapter Mounted In Vise).
Remove the lower return spring (Lower Return Spring) from the leading and trailing park brake shoes.
Remove the hold down spring and pin (Leading Brake Shoe Hold Down Pin And Spring) from the leading park brake shoe.
Remove the adjuster (Brake Shoe Adjuster) from the leading and trailing park brake shoe.
Remove the leading park brake shoe (Primary Brake Shoe Remove/Install) from the adapter. Leading brake shoe is removed by rotating the bottom of the brake shoe inward (Primary Brake Shoe Remove/Install) until the top of the brake shoe can be removed from the brake shoe anchor. Then remove the upper return springs (Primary Brake Shoe Remove/Install) from the leading brake shoe.
Remove the upper return springs (Upper Return Springs) from the trailing park brake shoe.
Remove the hold down spring and pin (Trailing Brake Shoe Hold Down Pin And Spring) from the trailing park brake shoe.
Remove the trailing park brake shoe from the adapter.
Remove the park brake shoe actuator from the adapter and inspect for signs of abnormal wear and binding at the pivot point.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

And this will be a hundred times worse than a rear valve cover.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:07 PM
BINOVC

Thanks for the procedure Tizzy1.
C'mon, 100 times???
I see "special tool 8214-1" to tap the hub/bearing out with. Not something that Autozone carries in the tool loaner program I guess. So what's the "alternative method"?

Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

rear hubs are a pain if you want to reuse them. I take an air hammer and try to spin the base like I'm unscrewing it to get it to break free.

I thought I was being nice, was going to say 1000 time worse.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 AM
BINOVC

Yah, re-using them would be planned. Maybe replacing the park brake shoes isn't that high on the priority list... Maybe instead I'll see if there is a cable adjuster that I can tighten up for now.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

There is a star adjuster between the shoes just like on old school drum brakes. The surface on the rotor that the shoe contacts also gets rusted out and worn and could also be causing your issue.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Park Brake Shoe Replacement