Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Sliding door stuck closed

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Andy69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sliding door stuck closed

2005 SXT with power sliding doors.

Power door is broken, again (just fixed it a week ago), so it needs to be opened manually. They opened it at carpool line, and when she tried to shut it, the latch was closed and it wouldn't shut. I had to drive the van home with the door wide open.

Managed to get it to release by prying with a screwdriver and pushing the inside manual release button. Got it closed, but the outer handle does not work, and neither does the inner handle because the child safety feature is on.

I can hear it unlock when I push the power button, but doesn't move. It feels a little funky when I pull the lock up manually, but in either case, the door will not open.

I suspect the outer handle "thinks" the door is still locked, but I don't know.

Any ideas? We're heading on vacation this week and I really don't want to listen to nonstop complaining about a broken door for 16 hours.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Andy69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well alrighty.

I took the door panel off for a look see, and I could reach in and pull the latch manually and it would open.

Traced it back to where it met the outside handle and the cable had popped out of its keeper, so it was pulling the housing instead of just the cable.

Simple. Really wasn't up to the level of swearing directed at it this morning

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Sliding door stuck closed