Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: no air blows out rear a/c vents

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 10:32 PM
xr500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no air blows out rear a/c vents

I tried the search tool for this forum and it would not do a search for rear ac or rear air. Just said air and ac are common terms and would not search. Frustrating and confusing?

So, I will have to start a thread.

I have 2006 SXT with rear air and zone contorl.

front ac vents work, but the ceiling vent will not blow any air. I hear a blower in the back.

Does anyone know why no air flow from the rear ac ceiling vents?

Thanks

Old 04-22-2014, 11:03 PM
xr500

I tested the rear air somemore. when heater is on, air comes out rear vent behind passenger sliding door. When I turn on ac, air keeps blowing out the same vents but turns cold. It should start coming out the ceiling vents instead when it goes to ac. So probally a damper door or electric motor that moves the damper door or something like that.

So, I guess I will just have remove trim/plastic on passenger side and see if I can figure out where the problem is.

I spent a good bit of time searching this subject on the internet and forums and found noting helpful. I am surprized there is so little info on this. Or maybe I am using the wrong key words?

Looks like I will need to buy a factory service manual.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:02 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xr500
I tested the rear air somemore. when heater is on, air comes out rear vent behind passenger sliding door. When I turn on ac, air keeps blowing out the same vents but turns cold. It should start coming out the ceiling vents instead when it goes to ac. So probally a damper door or electric motor that moves the damper door or something like that.

So, I guess I will just have remove trim/plastic on passenger side and see if I can figure out where the problem is.

I spent a good bit of time searching this subject on the internet and forums and found noting helpful. I am surprized there is so little info on this. Or maybe I am using the wrong key words?

Looks like I will need to buy a factory service manual.
xr500,

I'm sorry to hear about the AC vent issue you're experiencing. As the manufacturer, I would recommend having a servicing dealer have a closer look at your issue. The dealer has resources available to efficiently locate the source.

That being said, our Service Manuals provide extensive details and are well written for customer reference.
I have posted the contact # for Mopar TechAuthority as well as the website below if you wish to obtain a Service Manual.

Contact # 1-800-890-4038

https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/Home.aspx

Old 04-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had to replace a mode door actuator in the rear HVAC unit some years ago on my 3rd gen 96 GC. Your system is a bit different from the older models but should have a similar configuration. Had to remove the passenger side rear trim panels up to the sliding door. Didn't have to remove the HVAC unit. Actuator was installed on the outboard side of the unit but still accessible. Connector was on the aft bottom of the HVAC unit facing the rear hatch. There was a hole in the inboard side of the unit that let you see the actuator shaft to determine if it was rotating when commanded by the driver's temp slider switch.

Last edited by Cougar41; 04-25-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:05 AM
xr500

Dave P, thanks for links. also, on having a dealer look at this . . . there is just no fun in that. As a DIYer, that is why I come to the forum, the fun is learning how the vehicle works and being able to fix it without being taken advantage of by a stealership. I think the way dealers work in the US is broken, in that vehicle makers not allowed to sale to the public and are required to go thru the stealerships.

Cougar41, thanks for info, I will keep this in mind when I dig into the a/c ducting.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:07 AM
Rebecca Nye
Default Any luck with this?

Originally Posted by xr500
I tried the search tool for this forum and it would not do a search for rear ac or rear air. Just said air and ac are common terms and would not search. Frustrating and confusing?

So, I will have to start a thread.

I have 2006 SXT with rear air and zone contorl.

front ac vents work, but the ceiling vent will not blow any air. I hear a blower in the back.

Does anyone know why no air flow from the rear ac ceiling vents?

Thanks
I am having this same issue. I can't find anything on it when I search for help. I definitely have a leak somewhere since they just filled my air, but it's already not as cold. Even though he found no obvious leaks. Held a vacuum, etc...But I noticed that my ceiling vents dont blow ANY air out of them. I can hear the rear blower by back door on. Although I dont feel much coming from there either. But nothing comes out of ceiling vents.

Old 08-09-2023, 01:14 PM
TommyDG
Default Any luck?

Did anyone find a solution for the rear AC blowing from the blower but not being able to select the top or bottom vents?

Old 08-09-2023, 02:12 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just fielded a similar question regarding heat coming out of the rear vents (roof) in the summer... it was discovered that there is a mixing actuator that was defective.

If you go to a good Mopar parts website, enter your VIN number and then search around for HVAC diagrams, you will see the actuators (or servo's) that swing doors that select the heat/cool 'BLEND' door and also the MODE door would be your ceiling or floor selector. MORE THAN LIKELY, the servo is dead BUT, I implore you to troubleshoot and verivy before blindly throwing parts at a problem.

Perhaps you can swap plugs on the two servo's and then the heat control may operate the mode door and vice versa the mode control may operate the warm/cool blend door. If it works like I described, then likely replacing the servo will fix your fault

If the part is unavailable or prohibitively expensive, perhaps you can wire the mode door into your desired position or even a stiff arm up into the small glove storage space over the wheel well???

Please let us know how it works out and how you go about fixing your MiniVan
Fab

The following users liked this post:
TommyDG (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 02:50 PM
TommyDG

FabricGATOR,
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I did see some posts about blending doors for heat vs AC, but you’re the first to mention the mode actuator. I think that seems the most likely. I might try a couple of fuses first since it looks like a bit of work to get to blower, but I don’t think anyone has really pinpointed a specific fuse or relay for the actuators (as opposed to the blower itself, which is working).

Old 08-09-2023, 04:06 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, I don't think the individual actuators are individually fuse protected, the whole of the hvac module is probably the only one.
If you open the hatch and carefully pull off the seal weather strip, I think you area half the way there (easy if the rear seat is removed or empty van)

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: no air blows out rear a/c vents