Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2014 caravan p0606 check engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:54 PM
spdarren@yahoo.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 caravan p0606 check engine

I drive a 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan AVP. Car has 600 miles on it. The other day the Check Engine light came on. I checked the code, it was P0606. As described in my ALLDATADIY.COM subscription, that DTC is described as
"When the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) recognizes an internal failure to communicate or the CMP and CKP Sensor count periods are too short. One trip fault. ETC light is flashing."

I cleared the code to see if it would come back, but it has not. I found online that there was a TSB for this problem for the 2013 model, which reads as:
SB-18-048-13: CHRYSLER/DODGE: MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) ILLUMINATION, WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0606, AND POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) WITH NEW SOFTWARE REPROGRAMMING AND SELECTIVE ERASING. MODELS 2014 TOWN AND COUNTRY, GRAND CARAV
What I cannnot find is what to do about this. Does anyone know further details about this DTC for this car, as well as the TSB? I know that I can bring it into the dealer, but I do not want to waste my time if I do need to.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the code doesn't return have a nice life. Without a light and a code the dealership in all likelihood will tell you to return when they appear. If it does head to your dealership so they can determine the cause regardless of any TSBs. Your under warranty correct? Use it. I'm wondering why you would clear the code if you have a warranty on the van? There's always the chance it could return after the warranty expires. Now there's no previous record of it if that does happen. In that case you're SOL. Lifetime warranty?

Last edited by Cougar41; 05-21-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:22 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

HELP USING THE wiTECH DIAGNOSTIC APPLICATION FOR FLASHING AN ECU IS
AVAILABLE BY SELECTING “HELP” THEN “HELP CONTENTS” AT THE TOP OF
THE wiTECH DIAGNOSTIC APPLICATION WINDOW.
THE wiTECH SOFTWARE LEVEL MUST BE AT RELEASE 14.01 OR HIGHER TO
PERFORM THIS PROCEDURE.
SUBJECT:
Flash: MIL Illumination P0606- Internal Control Processor
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2014 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Caravan
2014 (JC) Journey
NOTE: This bulletin applies to RT vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine (sales code
ERB) built on or before September 6, 2013 (MDH 0906XX) and JC vehicles
equipped with a 3.6L engine (sales code ERB) built on or before September
11, 2013 (MDH 0911XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A small number of customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)
illumination. Upon further investigation the Technician may find that the following
Diagnostic Trouble Code has been set:
· P0606 - Internal Control Processor
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in
TechCONNECT, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTC's other than
the one listed above are present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary
before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the customer describes the symptom/condition or if the technician finds the DTC,
perform the Repair Procedure.
NUMBER: 18-048-13
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: October 09, 2013
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
NOTE: Install a battery charger to ensure battery voltage does not drop below 13.2
volts. Do not allow the charging voltage to climb above 13.5 volts during the
flash process.
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
1. Reprogram the PCM with the latest software. Help using the wiTECH Diagnostic
Application for flashing control modules is available through the wiTECH Diagnostic
Application. For instructions select the “HELP” tab on upper portion of the wiTECH
window, then “HELP CONTENTS”. This will open the Welcome to wiTECH Help
screen where help topics can be selected.
2. After PCM reprogramming, the following must be performed:clear any DTC's that
may have been set in other modules due to reprogramming. The wiTECH application
will automatically present all DTCs after the flash and allow the tech to clear them.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation

Last edited by master tech; 05-22-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:32 PM
spdarren@yahoo.com

Thanks, master tech, that is a terrific help!

Old 03-19-2015, 02:48 AM
ploc36

My 2013 RT CEL just came on today?? It just hit 20,000 miles, with no drivability
or transmission issues. Still drives normal. But I am on a road trip in SoCal and need to drive 1300 miles back home. Looking at the owners manual, CEL could be triggered by bad gas or loose fuel cap? It's not a loose fuel cap, that is for sure. Any help or suggestions would be great? Thank. - If I don't get a dealer to check it out (until I get home) do you foresee any issues?

Old 03-23-2015, 02:05 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Without knowing the code that is turning on the CE light there's little we can do. There are over a hundred faults that can turn on that light. Suggest you stop at a parts store and have them read the code using a scanner. It's usually free with them. There's always a dealership since you're probably under a warranty.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:37 PM
ploc36

Took it to Alhambra Chrysler Dodge Jeep to check the CEL, came back with an error code P0520. Changed Oil Pressure Sensor switch (Part# 5149062AA).
CEL is normal now. But the dealer charged me $140 for labor & $43.45 for parts, as they claim they do not do Canadian Warranty work & I have to re-claim it with Chrysler Canada??? I phone my dealer back in Canada & they told me any US Chrysler dealers should honor the warranty, as they have serviced my US vehicles under warranty back in Canada? As I was traveling and didn't want to get into it with the Alhambra dealer, just paid & left. I did sent an e-mail to Chrysler Canada on March 19th (same day i got the service) but due to high volume of e-mail, they haven't got back to me as of today. March 24. Any help on the US / Canada Warranty issue would be appreciated.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:28 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Well anyway it's fixed but...

DodgeCares is a regular contributor on this forum and is a Dodge/Mopar representative. If he doesn't chime in here try sending him a private message explaining your situation.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2014 caravan p0606 check engine