Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 Caravan dipstick broken in tube

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:31 PM
artbet8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2005 Caravan dipstick broken in tube

I unscrewed the bolt, loosened the two clamps, so the tube is free, and cannot free it from the engine, using pliers in a gentle twisting pulling motion. Does the oil pan have to be taken off or is there a way to pull or screw the tube out? (I did spray the tube engine connection several times with WD-40 and let it set over night).

Old 05-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just keep working it. Where it comes out the other side it can get some buildup on it so they can be kinda stubborn. Did you just break it off at the top? I usually have better luck getting the dipstick out without pulling the tube.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:32 PM
artbet8
Wink dipstick in tube

Yes the plastic broke off where the tube starts. I tried prying it out and it went down further. I will take your advice and keep trying to wiggle the tube up and out. Thanks

Old 09-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Hate em but keep buying em

Just removed and replaced one on my 3.3 2005. The bolts are all that is supposed to hold it. You just have to pull it out. Probably what Tizzy said - built up gunk on other side.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:08 PM
DB4180
Default Me Too

06 Caravan, like many others, plastic loop broke at top, leaving stick about an inch from the top. Others had mentioned this procedure, and I as well. Make sure engine is cooled down before attempting to remedy this. Drill hole in plastic, not much room to work with. Spray WD40 or similar product into hole where plastic is. Wait for a brief period, then put, I used a long thin wood screw, into drilled hole. A turn or two will usually do the trick. I then used a small crowbar and banked down on it, and to my chagrin the dipstick came out. Saves beadcoup bucks and complete satisfaction is at hand. Thanx to others who used this method.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:48 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

Originally Posted by DB4180
06 Caravan, like many others, plastic loop broke at top, leaving stick about an inch from the top. Others had mentioned this procedure, and I as well. Make sure engine is cooled down before attempting to remedy this. Drill hole in plastic, not much room to work with. Spray WD40 or similar product into hole where plastic is. Wait for a brief period, then put, I used a long thin wood screw, into drilled hole. A turn or two will usually do the trick. I then used a small crowbar and banked down on it, and to my chagrin the dipstick came out. Saves beadcoup bucks and complete satisfaction is at hand. Thanx to others who used this method.

and I hope this done with the tube removed cause hate the wd40 in my engine.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:39 AM
Little Joe

had the same problem. I took the tube off and put the end of the dip stick in a vice, pulled down on the tube and the stick popped out. I then melted the ring back on the plastic at the end of the stick and it is still working today... Did that a couple years back :-) Best of luck to you!!

Quick Reply: 2005 Caravan dipstick broken in tube