Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: running bad when warm need advice

Old 06-23-2014, 09:54 PM
valiantstorm2333
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running bad when warm need advice

Hey everyone I could use some help cause I can't figure this problem out..ok so when my van is cold it runs just fine but when its warm it wants to die and has no power what so ever..it just bogles and spudders bad and if I floor the peddle it juat dies but if I push the peddle maybe a inch or two it
gets up and goes. And when i shut it off when its hpt I have to spray starting fluid in it out it wont start...it back fires a lot and when it does it seems to want to run...I'm confused and frustrated and need help...
Thanks

Old 06-24-2014, 10:09 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Year. Motor. All would be helpful. I would start by checking your fuel pressure. Sounds like my symptoms when my pump was dying.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:50 AM
valiantstorm2333

Its a 2000 dodge grand caravan sport 3.3 motor and i have so many theorys on why it wont start but what confuses me is why does it run ok when its cold and only acts up when its hot...but now its having a hard time accelerating when its cold its not to bad but i have to play with the throttle some times to get it to go =/

Old 06-28-2014, 12:26 PM
archemedes74
Veteran

sounds like symptoms of a bad ignition module to me (it gets really hot when you drive and the inside connections open up)

Old 07-02-2014, 02:43 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by archemedes74
sounds like symptoms of a bad ignition module to me (it gets really hot when you drive and the inside connections open up)
This is what I was told on mine when the pump was getting bad. Ended up testing the pressure and finding it was leaking down pressure and as it would get warm the pump wouldn't produce enough pressure.

Mine would run and drive great for about 10mi, then it would start losing power, studdering, backfiring. Then it would die. Then it would have to cool for about an hour before it would start again.

I dealt with this issue for about 2 weeks and 4 shops before I took it into my own hands and found the fuel issue.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:18 PM
Saabu2
Amateur

HI Valiant my same vintage motor etc van is doing the same thing, so wondering if and what solved your problem. i got a spare module from the junkyard but before i go that route would love to hear what happened with yours.
Thanks
!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: running bad when warm need advice