Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Lift gate release switch won't work / BCM issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Cdn Colin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift gate release switch won't work / BCM issue?

Here's the story. My wife's lift gate switch stopped working. My first thought was to actually check the switch. It had a corroded wire and repaired that. But it still won't work. I've had the whole door apart. This is what I know;

-The switch does work. I did a continuity test. The live wire does get power from the van. 4 volts, about 5 amps.

-I get the same readings from the wire harness in the door. I cannot jump the actuator from here.

-If I do a continuity check on the actuator, I get continuity. If I try the high ohm scale, Ican jump it. AAA batteries have 1.5V, but many amps.

-If I put the high range ohmmeter anywhere in the circuit it will jump the actuator.

My guess is that the switch is not getting the Amperage it needs to trip the actuator from the BCM. But really, I'm grasping at straws. Anybody with a clue able to help me? Where is the BCM?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:35 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lift gate release switch won't work / BCM issue?

You should be seeing 5 volts at the switch. BCM sends 5vdc to switch and watches for it to go to 0 when switch closes (voltage drop). When it sees that, it operates the power liftgate module. Here's the troubleshooting routine: Caravan liftgate operations

Old 07-19-2014, 05:45 PM
trollious
Default caravan liftgate

Originally Posted by RickMN
You should be seeing 5 volts at the switch. BCM sends 5vdc to switch and watches for it to go to 0 when switch closes (voltage drop). When it sees that, it operates the power liftgate module. Here's the troubleshooting routine: Caravan liftgate operations
the voltage drop should be 2.5. A bad switch will drop the the ref volts to whatever and the BCM will not recognize.\

Old 07-19-2014, 08:42 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

link does not work

Quick Reply: Lift gate release switch won't work / BCM issue?