Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Vans & CUVs > Dodge Caravan
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!
Sponsored by Dodgetruckparts
Click Here

Peculiar radio problem.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:35 PM

Default Peculiar radio problem.

last year, our radio in our Dodge Caravan had a strange issue. The radio would turn on after a few seconds delay, but no sound would come out of the speakers. The same thing with the cassette player and CD. While the power was on, any button commands would be delayed by several seconds. For example, if I turned on the radio several seconds would go by before anything came up on the display. If I changed the volume or the channel, there would be several seconds delay before any indication of the volume or channel change would show on the display.

this was obviously very frustrating, but before we could bring it in to have it looked at, the problem seemed to vanish and the radio begin working normally again. Now, while I was sitting in a parking lot with the radio on, the speakers just turned off. The radio still has power, still has the display on, will accept and eject CDs and tapes normally, but no sound comes out of the speakers and the delay between the command and the display changing is back.

Any ideas what might be causing this?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 07-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Record Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamMacRoss View Post
last year, our radio in our Dodge Caravan had a strange issue. The radio would turn on after a few seconds delay, but no sound would come out of the speakers. The same thing with the cassette player and CD. While the power was on, any button commands would be delayed by several seconds. For example, if I turned on the radio several seconds would go by before anything came up on the display. If I changed the volume or the channel, there would be several seconds delay before any indication of the volume or channel change would show on the display.

this was obviously very frustrating, but before we could bring it in to have it looked at, the problem seemed to vanish and the radio begin working normally again. Now, while I was sitting in a parking lot with the radio on, the speakers just turned off. The radio still has power, still has the display on, will accept and eject CDs and tapes normally, but no sound comes out of the speakers and the delay between the command and the display changing is back.

Any ideas what might be causing this?
Have you checked the radio fuses & amplifier (if equipped) fuse in the Junction Block? The dealer can provide further diagnosis as they have the diagnostic scan tools to review the audio system.

U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
Old 07-15-2014, 04:04 PM

I'm a layman when it comes to cars, but I'm sure checking the junction and fuse boxes is something I can do, as long as any problems will be obvious and/or visible. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:39 PM

It's not the fuses. It's been suggested that there is some electrical issue between the radio in the console and another point in the system. Don't know if this is something I can avoid taking it in to service on.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:39 PM