Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Peculiar radio problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 03:35 PM
AdamMacRoss
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peculiar radio problem.

last year, our radio in our Dodge Caravan had a strange issue. The radio would turn on after a few seconds delay, but no sound would come out of the speakers. The same thing with the cassette player and CD. While the power was on, any button commands would be delayed by several seconds. For example, if I turned on the radio several seconds would go by before anything came up on the display. If I changed the volume or the channel, there would be several seconds delay before any indication of the volume or channel change would show on the display.

this was obviously very frustrating, but before we could bring it in to have it looked at, the problem seemed to vanish and the radio begin working normally again. Now, while I was sitting in a parking lot with the radio on, the speakers just turned off. The radio still has power, still has the display on, will accept and eject CDs and tapes normally, but no sound comes out of the speakers and the delay between the command and the display changing is back.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Old 07-15-2014, 01:43 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamMacRoss
last year, our radio in our Dodge Caravan had a strange issue. The radio would turn on after a few seconds delay, but no sound would come out of the speakers. The same thing with the cassette player and CD. While the power was on, any button commands would be delayed by several seconds. For example, if I turned on the radio several seconds would go by before anything came up on the display. If I changed the volume or the channel, there would be several seconds delay before any indication of the volume or channel change would show on the display.

this was obviously very frustrating, but before we could bring it in to have it looked at, the problem seemed to vanish and the radio begin working normally again. Now, while I was sitting in a parking lot with the radio on, the speakers just turned off. The radio still has power, still has the display on, will accept and eject CDs and tapes normally, but no sound comes out of the speakers and the delay between the command and the display changing is back.

Any ideas what might be causing this?
Have you checked the radio fuses & amplifier (if equipped) fuse in the Junction Block? The dealer can provide further diagnosis as they have the diagnostic scan tools to review the audio system.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:04 PM
AdamMacRoss

I'm a layman when it comes to cars, but I'm sure checking the junction and fuse boxes is something I can do, as long as any problems will be obvious and/or visible. I'll let you know what I find.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:39 PM
AdamMacRoss

It's not the fuses. It's been suggested that there is some electrical issue between the radio in the console and another point in the system. Don't know if this is something I can avoid taking it in to service on.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Peculiar radio problem.