Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 window regulator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 08:18 PM
grnlzrd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 window regulator replacement

My driver's door window started making a terrible grinding noise traveling in both directions. It sounded like something was scratching the heck out of the glass. I got the door panel off just fine, but have been stopped by the inner plastic door panel. I was able to release the glass from the carriages and tape it in the up position. Then I ran the motor both directions and the noise persists. So I then removed the motor itself. Same result. Moving the carriages by hand produces the same noise. I can also feel a corresponding vibration. So I've reached the conclusion the regulator is on the way out. Rock Auto has the part, but generic directions. The tracks for the carriages are bolted to the inner plastic panel. Do I need to remove this panel to replace the regulator, or will the tracks fit through speaker hole?

Old 06-09-2014, 09:16 AM
gnichols700

Originally Posted by grnlzrd
My driver's door window started making a terrible grinding noise traveling in both directions. It sounded like something was scratching the heck out of the glass. I got the door panel off just fine, but have been stopped by the inner plastic door panel. I was able to release the glass from the carriages and tape it in the up position. Then I ran the motor both directions and the noise persists. So I then removed the motor itself. Same result. Moving the carriages by hand produces the same noise. I can also feel a corresponding vibration. So I've reached the conclusion the regulator is on the way out. Rock Auto has the part, but generic directions. The tracks for the carriages are bolted to the inner plastic panel. Do I need to remove this panel to replace the regulator, or will the tracks fit through speaker hole?
What did you find out? Curious...

Thanks.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:32 PM
grnlzrd

Nothing new. I've just been using it as is. I greased the snot out of every moving part, bushing, roller, etc I could find. The grinding noise was reduced but not eliminated.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:17 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gnichols700
What did you find out? Curious...

Thanks.
You would have to remove the panel per the service manual. If you need the info on the carrier removal specifically. Please let me know. Hope this helps.

REMOVAL
NOTE:Left side shown in illustrations. Right side similar.

1. Remove the front door trim panel (Refer to 23 - Body/Door - Front/PANEL, Door Trim - Removal) .
  2. Disconnect the wire harness connector (4) from the window regulator motor (1).
  3. Remove the three screws (3) that secure the window regulator motor to the carrier plate (2) and remove the motor.

4. If servicing the window regulator, remove the carrier plate (2) and place it on a workbench (Refer to 23 - Body/Door - Front/PLATE, Carrier - Removal) .
  5. Remove the four screws (3 and 4) that secure the window regulator rails (1) to the carrier plate and remove the window regulator.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:23 PM
grnlzrd

Could you please post the carrier plate removal info also? This is where I was really stuck. Thank you very much for the help!

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 window regulator replacement