Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Brake Lights Wont Come On -- Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 01:41 AM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Brake Lights Wont Come On -- Ideas?

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Caravan SE (3.3L, V6)

Very strange to me. The brake lights arent coming on. The fuse checks out and the bulbs appear fine but the lights refuse to come on. For the record all other lights are working.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 07-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming all 3 brake lights are dead it's a good bet the brake pedal brake light switch is the culprit? Cruise control uses the same switch to disengage cruise but different contacts. If cruise is dead the switch is surely bad. If not, it could still be the switch. Got a multi-meter and know how to use it?

Disconnect the brake light switch just forward of the brake pedal. Connect meter leads to pins 1 and 2. Apply the brakes. Should see the meter indicate zero or near zero ohms (continuity). If the meter doesn't move or shows high resistance you need a new switch. Other than that it could be a wiring issue or bad Front Control Module (FCM) output. The good news? The Body Control Module (BCM) doesn't control the brake lights.

Last edited by Cougar41; 07-17-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:38 AM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Via the Service Manual i tested the old brake lamp switch and it appears to check out fine. I installed a new brake lamp switch.

RESULTS: the brake lamp still does not work

Is it possible to disconnect the brake lamp switch connector from the newly installed / active brake lamp switch to test the connector or will this damage / deactivate the brake lamp switch?

NOTE: A couple oddities....

* the rear wiper motor stopped working
* infrequently when the car is stopped and the turn signal is on there is an extra clicking noise possibly coming from the wheel shroud area. It sounds like a distinct mechanical clicking noise.

Anyone have a clue on how i go about tracing the ground wire from the tail lamp harness back to the front?

Last edited by quantass; 07-30-2014 at 02:35 AM.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Brake Lights Wont Come On -- Ideas?