Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 96 Grand Caravan 3.0, 3 speed auto trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Andrewo1991
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Grand Caravan 3.0, 3 speed auto trans problems

I just aquired this van, here is the issue. I belive i have the a670 trans. When it is cold it shifts fine, but once the temp starts rising (not overheating) the trans stops wanting to upshift. At operating temp it wants to hold 1st gear till 40mph, pretty much redlineing the poor thing then i can let off the throttle and put it in "2" for it to shift into 2nd. As long as i stay above 45 it will stay in 2nd. I havent been able to get 3rd gear when its warm. There is no slipping, it goes into gear quick and when it decides to shift it does it quick. It will also kickdown from 2nd to 1st at way to high of speeds if I accedentally give too much throttle (one instanse was at about 50mph). After doing some research i think it may be related to the govrenor, I have already taken the valve body off so i could get to the governor, but it started to rain so i put the pan on and stopped. My question is how do I tell if it is bad and am I even on the right track? I am new to these transmissions, and dont normally dig into them in the first place so i need some guidance.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:38 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF

These governors are always been a problem. You will need a 7 mm box end wrench to remove the 3 bolts holding the body. Remove the two valve and clean the bores out with fine sand paper and clean with brake parts cleaner. And then add a small amount of atf to the valves and move them up and down in the bores. If they move freely, then install the governor body and valve back into the transmission.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Andrewo1991

so i got the governor body out and the valve (smaller one with no spring) ever so slightly hangs up when you first try pushing on it from the back side, also I noticed the bigger one, i believe is the weight, has 2 marks on the outer edge its bore, sort of on the bottom right of it. i attatched a picture to see if that is damage or if that is supposed to be there. Looks like damage of some sort to me

Attached Thumbnails 96 Grand Caravan 3.0, 3 speed auto trans problems-2014-07-25_16-34-25_990.jpg  
Old 07-25-2014, 05:04 PM
Andrewo1991

after a few more min of looking it seems those notches are supposed to be there, i'm going to get some really fine sand paper and see about cleaning it out a little. And I lost the little "nail" that holds the larger valve in... I'm gonna look for a replacement. Also there wasn't a filter in my governor where everyone says there should be

Last edited by Andrewo1991; 07-25-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:02 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

That valve body looks a bit beat up. I would replace it. And the nail is just a finish nail.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Andrewo1991

thank you master tech, I ended up sanding it a little and the valve moved much better, i found the nail and the filter I thought I didn't have. That filter must be magic, i swear I never saw it fall. put it back on, the valve body, had to sit back and figure out how to get linkage back together on the valve body. Had to buy some E-clips i lost. (working on dirt sucks for dropping small things). Bolted up, filled up with fluid and now it shifts great. I am so relieved, never done that before. Wasn't that hard

BTW, master tech, some of your earlier posts answering other's questions helped me along with this. Thanks again

Old 07-28-2014, 11:44 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

No Problem, That's what the forum is all about. Everyone helps.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: 96 Grand Caravan 3.0, 3 speed auto trans problems