Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: A/c warm at idle

Old 07-30-2014, 09:27 AM
jew1028
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/c warm at idle

My 2008 grand caravan sxt 3.8 has a little a/c issue. The a/c blows cold while moving but once you stop at a light or let it idle it blows warm. I suspect a lack of airflow over the condensor. Do these vans have a separate fan for the condensor? If not what should I check for ?

Old 08-01-2014, 08:37 PM
mattd860
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The van should have two electric fans (side by side) behind the radiator. The fans are supposed to automatically turn on when the AC is one thus forcing air through the condenser and radiator. If these fans (or one of the fans) are not working then you will definitely have warm AC at idle and potentially very high pressure which can blow a seal or the compressor. You can easily verify if the fans are working by turning on the AC and looking directly at the fans in front of the motor.

If the fans are fine but the AC is still warm at idle, then that means you have a leak somewhere and have lost some (but not all) refrigerant.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: A/c warm at idle