Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Trunk Electric lock release key

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 04:03 PM
GerooTech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Electric lock release key

Hi Folks,

I have 2006 Grand caravan, and i had a weired behavior for the trunk electric lock release switch. It started as follows:

for a few weeks, when i was trying to open the trunk door, when i used the electric switch it did not respond on the spot, but some times it responds and open the door few minutes after.

After couple of weeks, now the electric switch does not release the lock at all, and i have to use the key.

All other locks are working find, with no issues. Is this a fuse or lock issue.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Old 07-30-2014, 05:40 PM
zero10
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue with my van, sometimes banging on the hatch by the handle causes it to start working or pressing the release button abruptly. Sometimes you have to push on one side only or things like that.

Generally it's a worn out switch that needs to be replaced. Before you do, check that the seal around the rear wiper is intact, I believe if it is compromised water can run in and reach the switch causing it to fail.

My wiper was almost completely loose from the hatch for a while and I blame that for the switch failure. I can't find it any cheaper than $50-$60 so if you see a cheap one around let me know as that is just too expensive for a stupid little switch so I continue to avoid this repair.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:11 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GerooTech
Hi Folks,

I have 2006 Grand caravan, and i had a weired behavior for the trunk electric lock release switch. It started as follows:

for a few weeks, when i was trying to open the trunk door, when i used the electric switch it did not respond on the spot, but some times it responds and open the door few minutes after.

After couple of weeks, now the electric switch does not release the lock at all, and i have to use the key.

All other locks are working find, with no issues. Is this a fuse or lock issue.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
First check the fuse which is cavity F32 and fuse 40 Amp Green. If the fuse is ok, then it could be the latch, motor, switch or power liftgate module. Further diagnostics would be needed from your servicing dealer or repair facility.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Trunk Electric lock release key