Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Power Steering Loss in Rain or Wet

Old 08-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Melhuishpa
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Loss in Rain or Wet

I have an 07 GC with 3.8 engine. My wife reports that she loses power steering in the rain or going through puddles. Prior to my taking over the maintenence for the vehicles, she had it to the dealership. They stated that it happens sometimes, but offered no solutions or fixes.

When she recently told me that it is still happening, I checked it out. Indeed, the belt and tensioner look and feel ok. But, I'm going to replace the belt and tensioner anyway. I've read that some belts are better than others to resolve this issue, Goodyear Gator in particular.

I bought a new belt, Dayco, but have not had a chance to install it yet. Does anyone have experience in resolving this issue? BTW, the wiper drain is ok and not draining on the pump pulley or belt, and the shield is properly attached.

Thanks,

Old 08-21-2014, 03:08 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Melhuishpa
I have an 07 GC with 3.8 engine. My wife reports that she loses power steering in the rain or going through puddles. Prior to my taking over the maintenence for the vehicles, she had it to the dealership. They stated that it happens sometimes, but offered no solutions or fixes.

When she recently told me that it is still happening, I checked it out. Indeed, the belt and tensioner look and feel ok. But, I'm going to replace the belt and tensioner anyway. I've read that some belts are better than others to resolve this issue, Goodyear Gator in particular.

I bought a new belt, Dayco, but have not had a chance to install it yet. Does anyone have experience in resolving this issue? BTW, the wiper drain is ok and not draining on the pump pulley or belt, and the shield is properly attached.

Thanks,
Sorry to hear the vehicle is still experiencing the intermittent power steering issue. Any issue with the power steering fluid or hoses?

Old 08-22-2014, 04:38 PM
Melhuishpa
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Regina. As far as I can tell there is no issue with the PS system itself. My thinking goes along these lines: Although the belt looks ok visually, it is not gripping the PS pulley when put under load and expecially when wet.

A while back Dodge replaced an alternator that had a bad bearing in the decoupler pulley. I specifically requested that they check and replace the belt if necessary. They reported that the belt was ok. The PS issue started immediately thereafter.

Unfortunately, my wife drives the van and only recently reported that she was still having an issue. I'll replace the belt, tensioner, and idler pulley. I believe that will solve the issue. Thanks for your input.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Power Steering Loss in Rain or Wet