Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: p 158.4 p168.4 ...help please....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 09:08 AM
tephy-cat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p 158.4 p168.4 ...help please....

Abs light comes on a few times one day ...two days later battery light goes off n on for three days. Then comes on and car wont accelerate...wipers lightsn guages go nuts...dead. charged battery...crank up ...Noticed altenator only turned when engine was reved up very high. Replaced altenator. RAN GREAT ABOUT A WEEK. NOW ABS LIGHT WAS ON FRIDAY, TODAY ON WAY TO TAKE MY GIRLS TO SCHOOL BATTERY LIGHT COMES ON AGAIN.I FEAR ITS GOING TO DO THE EXACT THING AGAIN.I DID KEY CODE IT SAYS P168.4 P158.4 done.
Single mom, spent everything i had fixing it last week. I need a helping hand w this please.
02 chrysler voyager 6cyl flex fuel

Old 08-20-2014, 09:49 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

P168.4 seems to be what ive google battery terminal connection, alternator, starter loose check them to see if they on tight,also could mean you have had battery disconnected prior 50 starts. low battery can also do this . check while off and on the voltages at the battery.

Potential causes of an P0158 code include:
  • Bad o2 sensor (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
  • Wiring in contact with exhaust components
  • Engine running rich (If other codes are present)
  • Holes in exhaust causing PCM to over-rich engine resulting in an abnormally high Bank 2, sensor 2 reading
  • Short to voltage on signal circuit
  • Bad PCM

Last edited by DodgeCaravan2010SXT; 08-20-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:13 AM
tephy-cat
Default abs...

Thank you!!! Could any of those problems causea short in the altenator ?
I replaced the altenator because it only turned when engine was floored and didnt charge battery, if its doing it again i am scared it wasnt the altenator before....so it is also something that is causing a short in the altenator.
Also ABS light means what exactly?

Old 08-21-2014, 09:25 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

abs means you don't have proper normal braking. it reverts to the old braking when applying the brake it just holds on. with abs it will hold release hold. allowing fresh area to be grabbed and not overheating just one spot on the rotor. To me if you having that issues too I would diffinitely think you might have wiring issues. shorts. could be a bad pcm (brain of car). I think you probably need to find someone who knows these vehicles and give you a better idea without starting to replace everything.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:34 AM
tephy-cat
i think you may be right, thank you!

Old 08-23-2014, 01:16 PM
tephy-cat
Default mechanic scratched his head n said try a new battery n cables.

My mechanic tryed to get codes from pcm but couldnt get it to connect. So went through abs and said that codes were 20 and 24 .....Pump circit failure and he said voltage then was 9.3 volts being put out ....by time we finnishes looking he said it was puting out 14 volts or so he couldnt fault tge altenator we just put in last week and said try new batery and terminals, and the pcm fuse in box under the hood. Im not sure if he dosent know whats wrong or if he just dont want to deal with it. Never the less i am getting the battery light and im terrified its going to do the same thing all over. . . Any suggestions on if a batery will fix it? Im a single mom and ill spend all the money i got trying to have it running right because if i miss anymore work i will b jobless. I just want to feel safe .

Old 08-23-2014, 01:38 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

ifi he replace battery that was fully charged then the light came on its not the battery.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: p 158.4 p168.4 ...help please....