Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 08 GC no crank on key but remote start works

Old 08-21-2014, 11:13 PM
cdn-pk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 GC no crank on key but remote start works

Hi i have a 2008 GC with 3.3L. been working great... until now....

All three of our keys stopped working, they can unlock the doors and will turn on the accessories but when the key is turned to start, nothing. if i remote start the van it will start, then i place the key in the ignition and turn to on and the FOB is recognized and we can drive the van normally.

here is the weird part. last fall i installed a xpresskit (DBALL) after market remote car starter. basically i unplugged the ignition switch connecter and installed a 'T' harness. it worked flawlessly all winter, and still starts the van.

any ideas what i should be looking at??

edit: i also found out, the last time it worked the wife drove through a bunch of deep puddles (about 6") then about 40 minutes later when she had to go out again the problem of not cranking was there.

Last edited by cdn-pk; 08-22-2014 at 09:11 AM. Reason: extra info
Old 08-22-2014, 04:57 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cdn-pk
Hi i have a 2008 GC with 3.3L. been working great... until now....

All three of our keys stopped working, they can unlock the doors and will turn on the accessories but when the key is turned to start, nothing. if i remote start the van it will start, then i place the key in the ignition and turn to on and the FOB is recognized and we can drive the van normally.

here is the weird part. last fall i installed a xpresskit (DBALL) after market remote car starter. basically i unplugged the ignition switch connecter and installed a 'T' harness. it worked flawlessly all winter, and still starts the van.

any ideas what i should be looking at??

edit: i also found out, the last time it worked the wife drove through a bunch of deep puddles (about 6") then about 40 minutes later when she had to go out again the problem of not cranking was there.
cdn-pk,

I'm sorry to learn of your starting issues.

With the remote start and accessories still working, it is possible a loose connection is present in regards to the ignition switch and the harness introduced.

Have you had an opportunity to speak with your servicing facility yet?

Old 09-01-2014, 09:28 PM
cdn-pk

Hi thanks for the reply.

i have a little more to report.

1) i pulled off the dash (a terrible experience, i'd rather change head gaskets) and check the wiring harness' and the Win's/ignition module everything looked good
2) i removed the remote start unit and still same issues starting.
3) reinstalled remote start and noticed if i turned the key/FOB tot he on position waited 2-3 sec. until the dash lights started going off the turned the key to start it would crank and start. following this procedure this would work about 47 times out of 50.

Though out the week we never had any rain and by Saturday it was starting normally again (i did not have to wait in the "on" position) BUT then Rain all sunday and now same thing, no massive puddles just wet on the roads.

Seems like an electrical problem that is being caused by some moisture somewhere. Anybody heard of this?

Old 09-01-2014, 10:39 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

This may or may not help. But it something to try.

SUBJECT:
Flash: Continental WIN Module For Intermittent No Start Condition
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves checking the module manufacturer and if necessary flash
reprogramming the Continental Siemens Automotive Systems Wireless Ignition Node
(WIN) with new software.
MODELS:
2008 - 2009 (WH) Grand Cherokee (International Only)
2008 - 2009 (XH) Commander (International Only)
2008 - 2010 (LE) Chrysler 300 (International Only)
2008 - 2010 (RT) Caravan/Town And Country
(International Only)
2009 - 2010 (JC) Journey (International Only)
2009 - 2010 (J5) Journey (International Only)
NOTE: This bulletin applies to international vehicles equipped with Wireless Ignition
Node (WIN) and Electronic Steering Lock (ELV) only.
NUMBER: 08-025-11
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: May 27, 2011
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some Customers may experience an Intermittent no-start condition. This condition may
happen when the WIN messages on the LIN bus are not received by the ELV and TPM in
the required time frame (ensure LIN is correct).
Flash reprogramming the WIN will correct this timing issue.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the vehicle operator describes the above Symptom/Condition, perform the Repair
Procedure.
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
Using a Scan Tool with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in
TechCONNECT, verify all systems are functioning as designed. If DTC's are present
record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this
bulletin.
NOTE: Install a battery charger to ensure battery voltage does not drop below 13.2
volts. Do not allow the charging voltage to climb above 13.5 volts during the
flash process.
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
Check manufacturer of WIN Module
1. Using the wiTECH Diagnostic Application verify the WIN module is manufactured by
Continental Siemens Automotive Systems.
2. Click on the reports tab on the top of the main page.
3. Select Run/View Reports.
4. Select ECU Details report.
5. Click on the arrow key to run the report.
6. Scroll to the bottom to find the WIN section.
7. Check the variant Code.
8. Is the variant Code 04? (Variant Code 04) indicates a Continental Siemens module.
a. No >>> Inspection is complete. Please refer to normal diagnostics for the customers
concern.
b. Yes >>> Proceed to Step #9.
9. Using the wiTECH Diagnostic Application for flashing a WIN is made available through
the wiTECH Diagnostic Application. For instructions select the “HELP” tab on upper
portion of the wiTECH window, then “HELP CONTENTS.” This will open the Welcome
to wiTECH Help screen were help topics can now selected.
10. Clear any DTC's that may have been set in other modules due to reprogramming. The
wiTECH application will automatically present all DTCs after the flash and allow the
tech to clear them.
POLICY:

Old 09-07-2014, 02:46 PM
cdn-pk
Default I have a Siemens WINs module

Well the intermittent problem seems to be getting worse.

I just ripped apart the dash to verify I had a continental WINS module and I don't. I have a Siemens module.

any bulletin relating to the Siemens modules? or any other ideas?
I do not want to bring it to the dealer without having an idea about what it going on.

the after market remote start is seriously saving our butts here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 08 GC no crank on key but remote start works