Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2002 Caravan - Rain drips from under blower motor

Old 08-28-2014, 07:16 AM
sagittandy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Caravan - Rain drips from under blower motor

Hi all, sorry I originally posted this in the wrong forum...

After being parked during extremely heavy rains, rain water will drip rapidly from under the blower motor, but only after the Caravan is driven forward or backward abruptly (ie, accelerated or braked hard). This can be hours or days after the rain. Then, after 15-30 minutes of driving and dripping, the drips stop.

Also, when driving stop-and-go during heavy rains, it drips steadily.

The attached photo, taken between passenger's feet looking up under the glove box, shows the drip. (the photo is also here https://flic.kr/p/oDhoUM)

My guess is that rain is leaking into the air plenum and puddling there while stationary, and drains out when movement sloshes it around.

I followed advice from several earlier posts in this forum...
- I removed the wiper arms and cowl cover. The tray is clear. Both drain openings are clear.
- Both wiper drain tubes seem to be clear. They take buckets of water well.
- The liquid dripping inside is definitely rain water. It's not coolant.
- The seal in the firewall around the coolant and a/c tubing seems good.
- The dripping does not start, stop, increase, or decrease based upon heat, a/c, temp, or recirc settings.

Any more ideas how it's getting in?

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by sagittandy; 10-11-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The blower motor is directly below the fresh air intake. The plenum area which is below the black cover where the wipers are is a big bowl. There are 2 big drain tubes that come from the bottom of it and go through the engine compartment, one on the left and one on the right. My money says they are plugged and the plenum is filling with water and it is draining through your blower motor. This will also increase the likeliness that your blower motor will fail sooner than later. Gets the bushings all rusty and corroded.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:35 AM
sagittandy

I fixed the problem. One of the drain tubes was not seating securely up into the big drain bowl under the wipers.

I checked the tubes again per Tizzy1's suggestion. After confirming the tubes were clear, I noticed one tube snapped in place, but the other did not. It barely stayed up, and easily let water blow by.

My hack fix was to wrap a piece of inner tube rubber around the joint, and zip tie it above and below the joint. We've had two big rainstorms since then and the inside is dry. I am claiming success.

Thanks

Old 10-11-2014, 04:06 PM
issakar
Captain

Nice job fixing it, and thanks for sharing the resolution . Glad you were able to fix it for basically free (I assume you had the tube/zip ties already).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2002 Caravan - Rain drips from under blower motor