Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Manual to Power Seat Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:35 PM
mcbremer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Manual to Power Seat Upgrade

Hi. New to the website/forum and I'm hoping someone on here can provide some help. We're looking to possibly upgrade from our 2005 GC to one of the Gen 5 vans. I've found a really nice looking 2012 SXT. It has high miles (95k), but has a good CarFax report and good maintenance records for the life of the van. (Recent new tires and brake job...only one for the life of the van!) The van is equipped with power sliders, power rear hatch, DVD player, rear camera, super console, etc. The only desired option it does not have, which I thought was odd considering all of the other options on the van, is a power drivers seat.

The van will be my wife's primary transportation for work, used on weekends and trips. Typically, she requires a power seat to get positioned where she is comfortable and has a good field of vision while driving (She's only about 5'1"). I'm afraid the manual seat will not work out well for her in the long run and was wondering what is involved is upgrading to a power seat.

Does anyone know if:
1) The wiring is in place to plug in the wiring harness from a power seat?
2) If I can find a good power seat in a salvage yard, are the seat cushions the same between a manual and a power seat? I was thinking I could have the upholstery removed from the manual seat and installed on the power seat cushions so it matched the rest of the interior. I don't believe I could just change the base frames out since the power seats have power recline on them.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2014, 01:30 PM
_Tom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mcbremer
Hi. New to the website/forum and I'm hoping someone on here can provide some help. We're looking to possibly upgrade from our 2005 GC to one of the Gen 5 vans. I've found a really nice looking 2012 SXT. It has high miles (95k), but has a good CarFax report and good maintenance records for the life of the van. (Recent new tires and brake job...only one for the life of the van!) The van is equipped with power sliders, power rear hatch, DVD player, rear camera, super console, etc. The only desired option it does not have, which I thought was odd considering all of the other options on the van, is a power drivers seat.

The van will be my wife's primary transportation for work, used on weekends and trips. Typically, she requires a power seat to get positioned where she is comfortable and has a good field of vision while driving (She's only about 5'1"). I'm afraid the manual seat will not work out well for her in the long run and was wondering what is involved is upgrading to a power seat.

Does anyone know if:
1) The wiring is in place to plug in the wiring harness from a power seat?
2) If I can find a good power seat in a salvage yard, are the seat cushions the same between a manual and a power seat? I was thinking I could have the upholstery removed from the manual seat and installed on the power seat cushions so it matched the rest of the interior. I don't believe I could just change the base frames out since the power seats have power recline on them.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I had the exact same issue on my '08 3.3V6 SE.

I was able to locate a full power seat for the driver's side from a wrecked van. It was a simple bolt in affair. All of the wires are there already. I left the passenger seat as manual adjustment, but the wires are there too as well if you get the itch to swap that out.

HTH,
Tom

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Manual to Power Seat Upgrade