Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 97 grand caravan es whining on driver's side

Old 09-14-2014, 05:59 PM
rdrobertson15@yahoo.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 grand caravan es whining on driver's side

I have a 97 grand caravan es that is whining in engine on driver's side. It doesn't start immediately upon driving car, after a mile or so. doesn't appear to be whining when I accelerate( at first I thought i just couldn't hear it with the engine revving) but if I take my foot off the gas, i hear it.
first thought was that it was the power steering hose(s)/pump but i raised the car and turn wheels left/right 10-15 times or so. and also, saw no bubbles in reservoir. took off the belt(but didn't change as it looks in good condition) and tested pulleys and they turn freely and don't have any wiggle.

It is not coming from the passenger side is it possible that one of the power steering hoses at the steering column is not tight enough? I don't see a leak and they are fairly tight?

Any other suggestions other than changing the belt(which I'll do in the interim)? Could it be the transmission?

thx in advance

Old 09-15-2014, 10:29 AM
rdrobertson15@yahoo.com
Default o'rings on return hose

When replacing the return hose, do BOTH o-rings that come with the kit need to be installed? Since the noise is coming from the driver's side, is this the problem?

Old 09-16-2014, 09:32 AM
rdrobertson15@yahoo.com
Default latest

this just happened after I check tranny level and it seemed a little low. so I added fluid to bring it up to level. now however the brakes do not work. all I hear is air, even if i pump brakes. car barely barely stops too dangerous to drive to shop. any of the two related to the whining noise? What is possible brake issue and how to resolve? brake booster? master cylinder? thx

Last edited by rdrobertson15@yahoo.com; 09-16-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:28 PM
rdrobertson15@yahoo.com
Default problem discovered and solved

master cylinder & brake booster needed replacing. hose below had worn a hole that was making the whining sound.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: 97 grand caravan es whining on driver's side