Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 GC burns up tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 06:00 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 2011 GC burns up tires

Factory set lasted about 20k miles, I thought Dodge went cheap on the oem tires. So I bought a set of high mileage rated Coopers to replace the originals, but only got 25k out of those.

Alignment is good, as the tires are worn evenly... We're in Western PA, lots of hills and curves... its a kid hauler, so plenty of short trips.

Our 2001 seemed to do much better with tires.

Anyone else noticing their tires wearing fast?

Old 10-07-2014, 10:11 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 01 would probably do better on tire wear due to it weighing less. Driving a lot of curvy roads will wear tires, especially on a heavy vehicle.

Assuming your not tearing up the curves with it, but cornering too fast can also lead to premature tire wear.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:44 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by smokesxt
The 01 would probably do better on tire wear due to it weighing less. Driving a lot of curvy roads will wear tires, especially on a heavy vehicle.

Assuming your not tearing up the curves with it, but cornering too fast can also lead to premature tire wear.
I just looked it up, seems the new one is only 100 lbs more. Same driver, same commute patterns.

New van has about 24k on the replacement tires, and they're close to the wear indicators (3 to 4/32nds).

They were Coopers with 70 or 80 mile wear warranty... I'd go after the warranty, but the trick is, I didn't know that I had to pay someone to rotate so I could properly document it.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:12 PM
litezoner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

road been repaved? I would not think it would matter anyway, my 06 seems to eat them as well about every 20K or so, I just think that perhaps the tire manufacturers just want to sell more tires, bad tire compounds these days I am guessing. if it's the neighborhood taxi and full of folks all the time, tire pressure can fluctuate constantly, seems mine is off by 4-5 PSI every week, But I am too lazy to keep up on it.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:32 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Coopers are generally good tires, which ones did you get?
What was the tread depth new?

2011 Curb weight: 4680lbs
2001 Curb weight: 3811lbs for the grand
That weight difference will make a huge difference on tire wear on curvy roads.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:29 PM
digieman

first off slow down taking the corners and curves,
then be sure to have the tires rotated.

My daughter wore out a pair in 10K miles while complaining " Dad their is something wrong with the tires, they squeal when I go around corners"

Old 11-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Montreal300
Professional

Originally Posted by digieman
first off slow down taking the corners and curves,
then be sure to have the tires rotated.

My daughter wore out a pair in 10K miles while complaining " Dad their is something wrong with the tires, they squeal when I go around corners"

LOL, good one. Mine says the front tires are no good, and then tells me she can beat sports cars off the line.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 GC burns up tires