Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Brake light not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:21 PM
aerospacecase
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light not working

Hello.
My right brake light is not working; left side okay.
Tried new bulb -didn't work. Fuse is okay.
I don't have the electrical schematic to track down where wiring splits into right and left sides.
I haven't yet checked the voltage where the bulb holder mounts to the rear lights assembly. If that is okay, I need to figure out how to check for a short circuit.
Has anyone solved this problem?

Last edited by aerospacecase; 10-24-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:34 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Power comes from 20 amp fuse 11 through the brake switch contacts through to splice BS01 then out to the lights.

If there is a trailer harness in the system disconnect it. Check for power at the right light assembly connector pin 5 (white/tan wire). If it's there I would suspect a bad light assembly. Clean any corrosion at the lamp sockets. No go? Swap the left and right assemblies. Problem swaps to left side and right side is good now? Order a new light assembly.

BTW - The assembly uses a single external ground connection for all the lights in the assembly. You know that's good because the turn and parking lights work (I assume). If it is indeed a ground that is open it will be internal to the light assembly between the right brake bulb socket and the connector on the assembly. Same for power.

Want the wire diagram? Send me a private message and include an email address. How? Click Cougar41 at left.

Last edited by Cougar41; 10-24-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Brake light not working