Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Condensation - Headlight Lens

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Hytec
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condensation - Headlight Lens

I have condensation inside the passenger side headlight lens of a 2013 SXT. How can I clear it? Is the lens removable? Are there weep or air circulation holes that may be plugged and need clearing? How can I prevent condensation in the future? Thanks

Old 11-17-2014, 03:31 PM
Marcus71
Amateur

I assume you are still under warranty. I'd take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Hytec

Originally Posted by Marcus71
I assume you are still under warranty. I'd take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it.
Thanks, I hadn't considered warranty because I assumed that would be a normal maintenance item. We just bought a new handicap conversion on a used 2013 SXT van with 21K, so I was planning on asking the dealer to pull up the van's maintenance history. I'll ask about the condensation at the same time. I'm also hoping they would be willing to enable the DRL function, assuming the DRL module is installed. Though it may not be installed because there's no Auto position on the Light stick.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:25 AM
tscaravan
Amateur

That headlight is done. It doesn't seal and needs to be replaced. You can drill vent holes in the bottom of it, but thermal cycling will eventually draw dirt and moisture in, so it's a poor and temporary fix.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:16 PM
Montreal300
Professional

The lens does not "come off". These are one piece units with a lens and bulb reflector/holder assembley bonded together with adhesive or thermally welded. They are quite easy to take out and replace but expensive.
I've had good success with removal of the assembly and "cooking" in the oven at 180F to evaporate most the moisture. A hair dryer set on low blowing into a bulb mounting hole does the rest. Once at room temperature, apply a liberal amount of clear silicone sealant to the joint between the lens and reflector assembly. Make sure the bulb assemblies have gaskets and that the vent is clear.
Unless your mileage is way up there, you should be under warranty. It is a defective manufacturing claim.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:18 PM
jpflager
Question easy removal?

Montreal 300. Please tell me how to remove easily the passenger side headlamp assembly. I have a 2012 . Don't see how to remove it. There is one bolt when removed the top is loose but I'm afraid to try to pry it out on the bottom.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Condensation - Headlight Lens