Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[1st Gen : 84-90]: In and Out Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 03:23 AM
Kittera
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In and Out Radio

I have a 1989 Caravan LE with the fancy radio and the Infinity speakers. The radio sometimes has power, and sometimes doesn't. I've checked the fuse, and it's alright. SO that's out of the way.

I've pulled out the underdash stuff(the lower steering cover and the insulated wiring vanity cover) and looked around at wires but I can't make heads or tails of what I'm looking at.

Does anyone know of anything common that would cause the radio to be on and off? Sometimes it has power, sometimes it doesn't. This doesn't extend to the night time backlighting. It also doesn't seem to be related to bumps in the road or anything physical like that. The clock always resets to noon once it happens, too.

Since the fuse is okay, I'm stumped. Car electrical has never been my strong suit.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Kittera
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Small update, I got around to giving a try to pulling the radio out. The ground bolt was kinda loose, but tightening it yielded no change in the radio's behavior. In fact, at about noon today, before I got that chance to mess around with it, the radio started to behave even more weirdly. It's going between working and not working at random, and quicker than before- it suddenly startled me while I was in the parking lot, because suddenly the tape adapter was spinning. I also couldn't turn it off. I'm guessing I just need a new head unit- it seems like it's just 25 years old and trying to give up the ghost.

Quick Reply: [1st Gen : 84-90]: In and Out Radio