Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2003 Caravan speedometer tranny problems?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:07 AM
AH76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Caravan speedometer tranny problems?

I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan 3.3 regular Caravan not a Grand Caravan. About 6 months back the speedometer needle got stuck under thepeg and I used the suggestion on this forum about holding in the trip and resetting. That worked great! It happen again and did the same thing and it reset itself.

A couple of weeks a ago it made a terrible whining sound from under the hood on the passenger side. On my way home from work the battery light went on as well. When stopped in traffic, the van would kind of jump like someone has bumped into the back end and the speedometer would jump between 1 and 30 mph. Would also clunk going into drive. Got the van home, turned it off and back on and the battery light did not come back on and has not since. On the way over to my shady tree mechanic's house it did all of the above except the battery light did not come on and my heater blower motor kind of had a surge of power then went back to normal, but the whining stopped. Had my mechanic change the input and output sensors, but that didn't work.

I also noticed the more things you turn on like heater, defroster, radio, etc., the more the speedometer jumps around and will go up to as much as 60 mph when at an idle. When holding in the trip it showed SOF 542 and codes 100.3, 100.5, and 400.1. Mechanic said the alternator was running the amps it should. I also replaced the battery about 3 years go.

The only other thing that I'm not sure that factors in is my speedo peg is gone. Loaned the van to my brother in law when his 05 Town & County blew an engine and I got my van back that way without the peg. He never said a word to me, but I'm assuming the speedo might have got stuck under the peg like it did on me and he took it apart and removed it?

Sorry for the long post just wanted to give all the info in detail. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2003 Caravan speedometer tranny problems?