Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: P0734 and P0792 Codes Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 11:11 PM
Crberus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0734 and P0792 Codes Mystery

I have a 2010 Town & Country, the transmission went into limp mode and had an engine light on with codes P0734 and P0792. If I turn off the engine and restart then the van van drives normal for a while before going into limp mode. If I clear the codes, they stay out for 2-4 miles of driving and then, either the transmission will go into limp mode and no engine codes or the check engine light will come on and drive normal. The codes are always the same. I had the transmission fluid and filter changed with no difference. I changed all 3 speed sensors on the transmission with no change. I took it to a tranmission shop and they drove it with a scanner monitering the sensor signals and all worked correctly but the intermediate shaft speed sensor would intermittantly show a signal spike to the top of the range and then show normal. Once the van was sitting still in neutral idleing and the mechanic experienced this spike again. His position was that electrical noise was interfering with the sensor wiring. I changed spark plugs and wires, I changed the altenator and cleaned all the grounds in the engine area. no help. I then took the van to a Dodge dealer with the information I had aquired and they put it on a tool the imitates a functioning tranmission so as to check the harness and PCM, they shook down the harness and found no faults or signal spikes. They said that the next move was to open the tranmission and find any problems then rebuild. I had the tranmission reuilt(at a different shop). The mechanic that rebuilt the transmission found the #3 and #4 friction plates blackened and worn. He did a full rebuild and even a new solenoid valve pack installed. The problem continues with the same codes. I am planning on running a new set of shielded wires from the Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor to the PCM to eliminate electircal interference or damaged wiring in the harness, if that does not work I plan on replaceing the PCM.
Any ideas or information you may have would be greatly appreciated.

I know this is a Chysler but the 62TE transmission and the PCM(ECU) are the same.
The new wires are installed and still no help.

Last edited by Crberus; 11-25-2014 at 11:13 PM. Reason: New info
Old 11-27-2014, 04:44 PM
tjnc
Professional

Control valve block
Trans. ground wire
Shift Solenoids
Speed sensors
Definitely not TCM issues even though there are conditions that cause you to have to get it flashed like with the ECM/TCM

P0792 is just a top-level error for internal trans. issues. P0734 is the more specific sub-level code. Get a TCM scan at a trans. shop for $40-$100 to get way better details/codes.

Things you can do without a pro:
Change speed sensors(2 of them)
Change ground wire
Change valve block
Change filter, o-ring, fluid and clean magnet and pan
Try Lucas treatment

Worse case scenario: Wiring issues(this was really only an issue with 3rd gen and older) around TCM or you need a rebuild. The good Mopar kit is around $400.00 if you know someone who can do it.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:47 PM
Crberus

UPDATE: I took my T&C back to the dealer (after the transmission rebuild) to have them solve this mystery problem. They had it for 1.5 weeks and could find nothing but the wires I had bypassed during my troubleshooting. I had them rewire the sensors and they then suspected the TRS(Transmission Range Sensor) switch because of the instrument cluster indication. They asked me if the Compounder was replaced during the rebuild and I informed them that it was rebuilt but not replaced. They then pull the side cover off to look at the TRS and wiring. When the pulled the cover they said that they found chips in the pan and that it looked to be coming from the Compounder. They siad the the wiring looked ok and gave me an estimate for a Compounder inspection. I called my transmission mechanic(He rebuilt this trans) and he suggested that I bring it back to him because, "you hired me to do the rebuild and I should complete the work". That kind of integrity is rare nowadays, but I digress. My trans mechanic pulled the pans and could find no evidence of chips or fuzz. He proceeded to pull the tranny and go through it to ensure no contamination existed. He then pulled the Compounder out and apart and it looked like new. He mic'd out all the components and checked for warpage but the compounder was perfect. He had another rebuild kit in his shop and he rebuilt the compounder for a second time, just to be sure. He put it back together and replaced the TRS while re-assemling it, to fix the boxes around the trans position indication on the instrument cluster. (the indication problem started after the transmission rebuild, so my trans mech said he would replace that part antway as he did not catch that problem when he test drove it after the rebuild) When he went to test drive the van, the boxes around the indicators were still there. A little frustrated he went back through what he did on the original rebuild and he noted that he had replaced the solendoid body as a possible cause for the transmission codes(P0734 & P0792) I had been getting. Since all the signals from the TRS go throught the solenoid body connector he put a new solenoid body on my transmission and this fixed the indication issue. he then test drove the van and the P0734 & P0792 codes did not reappear. He drove the van for 10-15 mile with no problems (these codes would set within 5 miles everytime before). I picked the van up on Christmas Eve and it has been working great for the last week. So it looks like the P0734 & P0792 codes were corrected by the replacement of the TRS. As unlikely as that sounds, it is the only part, that was changed, which caused a change in the trouble codes.
If the TRS was the problem then I wonder how many remanufactured transmission were replaced for this simular issue, as a remanufactured unit would have a new TRS installed?
$4000.00 fix for a $30.00 part?
I am just happy that my T&C is back on the road and I will update should this problem rear it's ugly head again

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: P0734 and P0792 Codes Mystery