Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2010 Caravan Brake Light & Turn Signal Don't Work

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 02:12 AM
Sandy64
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Caravan Brake Light & Turn Signal Don't Work

Hello! The day before yesterday while I was driving, when I turned on my turn signal, it went very fast. That indicated to me that something was wrong. I know very little about cars, but I did know a few things to check.

My headlights, front parking lights and front turn signals are all working.

In the rear of the van the passenger side parking light, brake light, turn signal light and backup light are all working. The third brake light in the upper center window is working. The license plate light is working.

The problem is in the driver side. The backup light is working. The parking light is working. However, the light does not get brighter for the brake or flash for the turn signal.

The bulb is not burnt out as I replaced it with a 3157 bulb. The parking light is also the brake light and the turn signal light and it works as a parking light.

I then checked the fuses. I replaced all of the mini 15 amp blue fuses in the Integrated Power Module as I could not figure out from the diagram which one was for the brake light or the turn signal.

Well, the brake light and the turn signal on the driver's side rear still do not work.

Do I need to change a different fuse? If so, please tell me which one. Is there another fuse location other than the one under the hood?

What other things should I be checking?

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Please remember, I am not all that familiar with cars, so please make your explanations easy for me to understand.

Thank you in advance..... Sandy

Old 12-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not going to be a fuse because only your rear drivers side is effected. There are no relays in the system. Doubtful but you could try removing the IOD memory fuse for 5 minutes to reset the data bus.

Have you inspected both the driver's side rear light sockets and the assembly connector for any signs of corrosion? Clean with electrical contact cleaner. If that looks good you can try swapping the rear light assemblies left to right. If the problem moves to the right side you'll need a new assembly. Beyond that it gets ugly.

"Progress" has dictated that all automotive electrical systems shall be managed by a microprocessor based data bus system. Naturally, complexity reigned supreme and simplicity took a back seat. That's another way of saying they made it tough to troubleshoot anything on these vans without specialized equipment. A degree in electrical engineering will sometimes but not always help as attested to by the fact even the gurus back at customer service HQ sometimes don't have a clue. Blah blah blah.

Chrysler packed nearly all electrical functions into what's called the Totally Integrated Power Module or TIPM. It's your fuse box but it's far more than that. It controls all the functions of your exterior lighting including turning on brake lights and making turn signals flash. Unfortunately, it's pricey box, upwards of $500 and more at a dealership but can be had cheaper on Ebay and elsewhere. The sad thing is it has to be programed to the vehicle by your dealership. There's some controversy on that point but that's what I'll say for now.

I hope I've told you more than you need to know because you're going to find something more like a corroded contact or chaffed wire at the light assembly or maybe even at the TIPM.

Last edited by Cougar41; 12-12-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:48 AM
Sandy64
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

The weather is supposed to be nice on Saturday so I will try switching the rear light assemblies and check for corrosion.

Will let you know what happens.

Thanks again..... Sandy

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2010 Caravan Brake Light & Turn Signal Don't Work