Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Coolant in Tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 11:50 PM
tyannt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant in Tranny fluid

Hi people! First post for this new guy...

Wife called says 99 Caravan 2.4L Auto seemed to be shifting oddly. I went to get her, checked fluid since i seen it had been leaking on the ground...found trans oil in the coolant overflow bottle and it had been overflowing, hence the leak on the ground in front of the front side passenger wheel...
Was obvious both the cooling system and the trans were now a mix of coolant and trans fluid... Grrrrr! Bad radiator!
Added trans fluid to get home 5 miles at 25mph.

Parked in garage, new radiator, dropped trans pan, removed filter and let drain for a couple of days.

I had planned on replacing the filter, doing a flush into a bucket while adding new fluid thru the dipstick, when it looks reasonable button it up, check level and driving it to work; 25 miles each way for a couple of days and re-flush with a new filter again.... see what happens!

I've read about the water/bands problem but thought I may as well ask what my chances are this point? FYI...111,000 easy, trouble free miles so far

Hmmm, feeling it might help to ask all to cross fingers!! Lol

Thanks people!

Last edited by tyannt; 12-22-2014 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Added Info
Old 12-23-2014, 01:08 AM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by tyannt
Hi people! First post for this new guy...

Wife called says 99 Caravan 2.4L Auto seemed to be shifting oddly. I went to get her, checked fluid since i seen it had been leaking on the ground...found trans oil in the coolant overflow bottle and it had been overflowing, hence the leak on the ground in front of the front side passenger wheel...
Was obvious both the cooling system and the trans were now a mix of coolant and trans fluid... Grrrrr! Bad radiator!
Added trans fluid to get home 5 miles at 25mph.

Parked in garage, new radiator, dropped trans pan, removed filter and let drain for a couple of days.

I had planned on replacing the filter, doing a flush into a bucket while adding new fluid thru the dipstick, when it looks reasonable button it up, check level and driving it to work; 25 miles each way for a couple of days and re-flush with a new filter again.... see what happens!

I've read about the water/bands problem but thought I may as well ask what my chances are this point? FYI...111,000 easy, trouble free miles so far

Hmmm, feeling it might help to ask all to cross fingers!! Lol

Thanks people!
It's pretty hard to say what your success rate is likely to be with this. As long as you didn't drive too far with everything all mixed up and you flush it well I'd personally say you have a halfway decent chance. Is it the 4 speed trans or the 3 speed? The reason I ask is because you quote a band issue, but the 4 speed (41TE/A604) doesn't use bands.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:08 AM
tyannt

Hi, and thanks for the reply...

I have the 3 speed transmission, and I mentioned bands in reference to other posts I've read BUT, while looking in my trans while removing the filter I could see bands, similar to what brake shoes look like! Assumed they were "bands"?
Tried to scrape one to see if it had got mushy but it was pretty hard...

I guess it's anyone's guess so I'll definitely have my fingers crossed! Do you think it's worthwhile driving it a couple days and do another flush and filter change? Small cost compared to a new one...

PS.. I'll have to check on which model mine is to find out which is the supply... and whether it goes to the TOP or BOTTOM of the rad

Last edited by tyannt; 12-23-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:13 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

I would flush after few miles. cheap insurance.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:35 PM
tyannt

Job completed... Thanks to all who chimed in!!

Last edited by tyannt; 12-24-2014 at 07:38 AM.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Coolant in Tranny fluid