Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 3.0L Caravan rough running, bad MPG

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:54 PM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0L Caravan rough running, bad MPG

Greetings forum folk,

I have a 99 caravan w/ the 3L engine. 151k miles. I've had low power with it lately, taking a lot to get up to speed. I also have been averaging about 17MPG with mostly hwy driving which seems pretty poor. Additionally when idling I can feel a bit of a stumble/rough idle.

I'd like to solve this issue, and I'm looking for a direction. I picked up a block tester and plan to test for combustion gasses in the coolant just to rule out (or confirm) head gasket issues. I'm sorta leaning towards a lean condition/vac leak, and I'm hoping to have a scan tool soon that can get me some live data.

I am probably due for a tune up; I've put around 25k on it since I"ve owned it, and I'm not sure when the previous owner last did any type of plugs/wires/cap/rotor. I also don't like to throw parts, and much prefer to have evidence to back up my decision.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:16 AM
hoosierrun
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When was the timing belt and timing belt tensioner last changed? Low power and poor gas mileage could be related to a timing belt that has slipped a tooth on a sprocket... or was not properly lined up on a recent installation.

Another possibility could be related to a clogged or restricted exhaust system (converter perhaps).

Head gasket problems are less likely on a 3.0.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:36 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hoosierrun
When was the timing belt and timing belt tensioner last changed? Low power and poor gas mileage could be related to a timing belt that has slipped a tooth on a sprocket... or was not properly lined up on a recent installation.

Another possibility could be related to a clogged or restricted exhaust system (converter perhaps).

Head gasket problems are less likely on a 3.0.
Disagree on the timing belt/tensioner. I've never needed to replace either, other then when a water pump went out.

Converter is a definite possibility.

Just needing the plugs/wires/cap/rotor done can also be contributing to all the issues, seeings it's at 150+k. I would start there seeings it most likely needs to be done anyway.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: 3.0L Caravan rough running, bad MPG