Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Is there a recall for the leaking Heater Hose assembly yet (2008 DGC)? Leaking AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 10:23 PM
danacat
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there a recall for the leaking Heater Hose assembly yet (2008 DGC)? Leaking AGAIN

Same story, SECOND time! 2008 DGC heater hose assembly (Y looking tube hose connector) developed a big leak (antifreeze) by 53,000 miles almost 3 years ago.
The dealership replaced it and did a coolant flush. Now at 97,000 miles the NEW heater hose assembly is leaking AGAIN. I was wondering if anybody knew of any recall
or good faith work being done by Chrysler (Dodge dealerships)?

Old 01-26-2015, 04:28 PM
danacat
Rookie
Cool

Hmmm... just got back from the dealership and they told me that my radiator is leaking. Said my extended warranty with 100.00 deductible covers it, along with the leaking valve covers they found. I saw the pinkish white splotch in the V-neck of the "Y" connector before I ever took it in, assuming that was dehydrated (dried) antifreeze (since the antifreeze is pink). I should have gotten a picture and posted it. Oh well, I guess I will wait and see if a new "radiator" fixes everything. If they tell me it did, I will post a picture of the splotch on the "Y" connector, and see what ya'll think. I'll keep you updated, I don't want to put out bad info.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:00 PM
MopeyMopar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was it the radiator or the hose assembly. I found these on ebay and they are what Mopar should have made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301580191576

Old 04-02-2015, 08:41 AM
danacat
Rookie

Apparently it was the radiator. It's no longer leaking (dropping antifreeze level) since they replaced the radiator, but I still don't know where the little bit of residue on the "Y" connector is coming from. Wish uploading a picture from my phone was a little easier and straight forward, I could show what I mean.

Last edited by danacat; 04-02-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:34 AM
danacat
Rookie
Angry

Well, AFTER having my radiator replaced, and being told everything was fine (nothing wrong with the heater hose assembly (Y-pipe), something blew in a most spectacular display! At 5,000 miles later from the radiator replacement (102,448 miles), I pulled into the gas station and smoke just started billowing out from under my hood. At first I thought something electrical was on fire, I immediately shut off the engine. But when I popped the hood open, the whole engine block and hood underside were drenched in coolant, it was running everywhere! The reservoir was completely empty. Two other guys (besides myself) looked the engine over, and were stumped about where the coolant came from. All the usual suspects looked fine (hoses, radiator cap, etc.) Hmmmmm.........and what did I tell the dealership at least twice recently....."Check the Y-pipe heater hose assembly, I believe it has a leak or crack in it"! My pleas were either ignored, or I had an inept technician. Anyway, I had to have it towed to the dealership, they have had it since Monday. I am still waiting to hear the official word on what's wrong with it. I think my head's going to snap if they come back and tell me my Y-pipe (heater hose assembly) needs to be replaced (Gee, ya' think?)

Old 06-19-2015, 09:04 AM
MopeyMopar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is nor will there be good will or a recall, this is a well documented problem they never admitted to nor addressed. The aftermarket and Chryo are making a killing of with these assemblies. Go to the smaller guys who are in it because they love this line of vans not profit and end the problem once and for all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301659880482

Old 06-20-2015, 08:06 PM
danacat
Rookie
Smile

UPDATE - DGC's Diagnosis ? Cracked heater hoses. They didn't even charge me the deductible to replace the heater hoses (part # 4677603AL) and antifreeze. And they went ahead and did the R03 key fob recall while they had it. It was an inconvienance the way it happened (breakdown), but the dealership did make it right, and I didn't even have to ask.

And MopeyMopar, I hear what you're saying. But I can't chance putting an "aftermarket" part on and voiding my service contract.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:55 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many chuck that "Y" assembly and buy $15 worth of hose and a brass "T" fitting to replace it. Ya, I know, your warranty.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Is there a recall for the leaking Heater Hose assembly yet (2008 DGC)? Leaking AGAIN