Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2005 grand caravan PCM

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:48 AM
BrettRunner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 grand caravan PCM

My pcm is shot. I got used one from the exact same year, model, and options. It just has a different vin stored in it. My question is: does it need to be flashed? Or should it work since it has all the same options on it. It's the same 3.8 liter engine and everything.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:36 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poking round the net I'm finding there's a yes camp and a no camp so your guess is as good as mine. Here's one example: http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/3iov...m-reflash.html

On earlier vans it wasn't a problem. Just had to make sure the security programming matched. Might send Tizzy1 or MasterTech a private message. They are techs.

Last edited by Cougar41; 01-28-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:49 PM
BrettRunner

Yeah, I was running into the same thing. Some were saying yes, and some no. I don't see why it wouldn't work given the fact it has the same options, so it wouldn't hurt to at least attempt it without the re-flash. The dealer told me that it is required....buuuuttt the last time I talked with the dealer mechanic, they didn't know squat and gave me incorrect information. I will repost to validate whether it works or not. Thanks

Old 01-28-2015, 07:35 PM
hoosierrun
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on whether or not your vehicle has a security system that locks out fuel delivery when the vehicle is started with a key that doesn't match programming in the computer. Modern vehicle keys have a chip with a code that must match a corresponding code in the computer. Some are so sophisticated that the same code appears in the Body Control Module (BCM) and a computer chip in your ignition switch module. I have even heard of cases where putting in a used ECM can 'poison' the BCM and render them both useless. To be safe, you may need to talk to a knowledgeable Chrysler Tech that can look up your VIN and see how the vehicle was equipped.
I have heard of people buying an ECM, BCM, and steering column from a junked vehicle just to get all the matching (coded) pieces that will make the vehicle run.
Another option is to call one of the online ECM rebuilders to see what they say. They may have VIN lookup capability and can guide you. They may also have the capability to flash clean your used computer then put in your VIN and factory setup so that it will work.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:37 PM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettRunner
....The dealer told me that it is required....
The full sentence would be: "The dealer told me that it is required, in order to increase their bottom line."

Glad to see you were willing to accept Cougar's answer, because last year some guy was flaming the fourms for not giving him a definite yes or no. So sure, give it try.

You didn't post the problem(s) or the code(s) - are you certain it's the PCM?

One other thought, assuming your PCM is in fact bad and the replacement doesn't work asis. Don't know what you paid for the part, but reprogramming at a dealership costs somewhere around $100. If the flash works, great and you're all set. But if the PCM still doesn't work at that point, you're out the cost of the part + $100 (the dealer will not give you a refund). In order to avoid this possibility, you could buy a PCM programmed to your vin from one of the online computer parts outfits. I think these PCMs still go for around $200, but the reputable sellers will send another part if the first one doesn't work. Probably comes down to how you think your luck is running lately.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:55 PM
BrettRunner

Originally Posted by cv2003
The full sentence would be: "The dealer told me that it is required, in order to increase their bottom line."

Glad to see you were willing to accept Cougar's answer, because last year some guy was flaming the fourms for not giving him a definite yes or no. So sure, give it try.

You didn't post the problem(s) or the code(s) - are you certain it's the PCM?

One other thought, assuming your PCM is in fact bad and the replacement doesn't work asis. Don't know what you paid for the part, but reprogramming at a dealership costs somewhere around $100. If the flash works, great and you're all set. But if the PCM still doesn't work at that point, you're out the cost of the part + $100 (the dealer will not give you a refund). In order to avoid this possibility, you could buy a PCM programmed to your vin from one of the online computer parts outfits. I think these PCMs still go for around $200, but the reputable sellers will send another part if the first one doesn't work. Probably comes down to how you think your luck is running lately.
I'm not one ruled by temper. I just appreciate any help. Well I went through a slew of things trying to nail the issue. My van started accelerating very rough, especially if I accelerated hard. It threw me and p0202 code, and I noticed the wiring harness was frayed to that injector. So I elected to put a new wiring harness, injector, and tps for the hell of it. Still got the same code, so I took it all apart again (quite irritated by this point) and did the noid light test. No pulse on that injector, so my hypothesis was the frayed wire must have shot back to the pcm driver injector 2. If I knew how to fix a driver on the PCM, I would definitely choose that option, but I'm not sure if that is possible. So I bought a pcm off a guy that I know that has the exact same model and specs as me. The poisoning of the vehicle concerns me, so are you telling me I can completely destroy my van if I even attempt turning the key?

Old 01-28-2015, 10:00 PM
BrettRunner

Oh and the dealer did confirm that a used pcm can be reflashed. I've just heard that the only problem with putting another pcm on is the antitheft. But..same car..same antitheft system right?

Old 01-30-2015, 12:35 PM
hoosierrun
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and the dealer did confirm that a used pcm can be reflashed. I've just heard that the only problem with putting another pcm on is the antitheft. But..same car..same antitheft system right?

Yes, if the vehicle is re-flashed and the anti-theft code is programmed to match the BCM and SKIM module in the steering column. The vehicle will probably need to be at the dealership at the time it is programmed up.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:17 PM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

... But..same car..same antitheft system right?
Are you saying that your van definitely has SKIM active (i.e. you have grey keys)? Not all vans have SKIM active, and the ones that don't are equipped with black keys instead of the grey ones with the chips.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:53 PM
BrettRunner

Originally Posted by cv2003
Are you saying that your van definitely has SKIM active (i.e. you have grey keys)? Not all vans have SKIM active, and the ones that don't are equipped with black keys instead of the grey ones with the chips.
My keys to this van are not grey. They are black. Does that change anything? It looks like this:

Last edited by BrettRunner; 02-02-2015 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2005 grand caravan PCM