Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[2nd Gen : 91-95]: Why is my transmission leaking HERE??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 09:29 AM
chrisr710
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is my transmission leaking HERE??

I have a 94 Caravan (4cyl) which has a slow but steady transmission leak at the point shown in the photo above. It leaks all the time, not just when it is running (I think). The transmission works fine, and the fluid doesn't smell and it is pretty clean looking.

The point where it is leaking is the vertical cover on the end of the bellhousing right where it faces the engine. It is actually coming out of that little raised part in the cover... I wasn't sure if that is some type of weep hole or just a spot where you can put a screwdriver if you needed to pry that cover off. I suspect that it IS a weep hole, and that ATF is not supposed to collect in that area, so that most likely this indicates a bigger problem.

I stuffed some tin foil in there and it slowed the leak; but I would like to know if it indicates a bigger problem. I was also curious what type of automatic transmission that is... it says 424R....and if I should try some stop-leak product in there or if that stuff might do more damage than good.

Thanks so much for your consideration!

Last edited by chrisr710; 02-01-2015 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Did some more thinking
Old 02-02-2015, 01:14 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF

I would need to know if you have a 3 speed or 4 speed transmission behind the 4 cylinder engine. If it a its a 3 speed it would be a 31TH or a 4 speed would be a 41TE transmission.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:16 AM
chrisr710
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pretty sure

Thanks for your reply. I am pretty sure it's a 3 speed, the 31th, it has Drive, 2, and 1, no option for a 3rd gear. It looks like the pictures of the 31th I have seen all over the internet. It leaks almost a quart a month, maybe 3/4 or a quart. Is it worth putting some stop leak product in there, or does that have the potential to mess anything else up?
Thanks

Last edited by chrisr710; 02-08-2015 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:12 PM
hoosierrun
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely it is the front pump seal behind the torque converter or there is a slight leak in the pump casing O-ring. The parts are cheap but the labor is high since the tranny has to be removed from the vehicle.

Quick Reply: [2nd Gen : 91-95]: Why is my transmission leaking HERE??