Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: ABS Light/Sensor/Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 04:12 AM
centralware
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Light/Sensor/Pump

Odd story: Jan 2, 2014 the misses drives the van (2001 T&C) to the bank, slides on ice within the parking lot and hits the driver's tire to the curb (est. 10mph at best?) The impact causes the wheel to snap and hang at about 45 degrees, so no longer drive-able. We get hit with a snow storm lasting about 3 days within the snow belt, van disappears on the last day before we can get it towed; reported stolen.

Feb 2015 she is driving another vehicle, same icy conditions, lands in a ditch. Tow guy recognizes our name and claims "I still have your van from last year!" Long story as to how/why but less than legal. Regardless, I replace the spindle, axle, ball joint, brake hose, etc. (most from a yard save for the hose and ball joint) and the ABS sensor which on the original spindle was snapped off the hub. I now have an ABS light and the repair tech claims it came back with a pump error. (I have not connected it myself to read the code(s) yet which will be tomorrow if/when time permits.)

Braking: I can feel the power loss (operating at say 70% efficiency when stopping) and the pedal seems bled well and strong. Otherwise the vehicle seems in good shape considering she just sat for an entire year!

1) Assuming it possible the used sensor (or its cable) is dysfunctional, I've found a few places online which claim to carry the speed/abs sensor so I may be in luck if it tests and fails. The problem is, I didn't do the spindle replacement thus I'm clueless of where the wires lead. Can you indicate where I might find both the module and the pump? (I'm guessing on the driver's side well below the fuse/relay box but I haven't torn the vehicle apart yet.)

2) Beyond testing for voltage at the sensor itself (I'm assuming either 6 or 12vDC on one side and a pulse/return for the other) with the story from above, can you think of anything else which may have been damaged/shorted or fuses blown in the process? (I'm thinking the module itself might have become cracked at the harness if the wiring from the sensor isn't strapped to the body.)

3) Being a "pump" I would have to assume such a thing to go bad over time, yet nobody seems to stock either the module OR the pump when hunting through auto parts stores. If by chance the pump was in fact bad, where would get such a monster?

4) Any diagnostic specs would also be tremendously appreciated!