Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: ZERO Power to Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:00 PM
bjh1225
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ZERO Power to Engine

The disabled the entire electronic/electrical system on our 2000 Grand Caravan has ceased to function. My husband has tried to enable the computer system per the service manual. All that happens is the computer 'chatters' and the Caravan has zero power. He has followed the service manual on how to activate the anti theft system but that did not help.

We will truly appreciate any advise on how to get the engine's electronic/electrical system to function.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:14 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I do not understand. "The disabled the entire electronic/electrical system on our 2000 Grand Caravan has ceased to function" makes no sense. How do you enable a computer? Is your battery any good? Please start over and explain the situation slowly and carefully.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:33 PM
bjh1225

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I do not understand. "The disabled the entire electronic/electrical system on our 2000 Grand Caravan has ceased to function" makes no sense. How do you enable a computer? Is your battery any good? Please start over and explain the situation slowly and carefully.
There is no problem with the battery. Husband removed the ignition switch module but forgot to disconnect the battery cable. This caused the lights to flash, horn, to honk, and instrument panel died. Body Control Module made a clicking noise. Since then he has not been able to restore power to the van.

We have the factory service manual. He has done every thing he thinks might cure the problem with zero results. He is a very capable mechanic but had a lapse of common sense when he forgot to disconnect the battery. He has just finished replacing the tranny in our dght's caravan which necessitated his not being able to work on our caravan. Now we would like to get it up and running.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:00 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

AH. Ok. I understand now. Thanks. I'm a little slow. All the fuses/fusible links good?

Old 03-29-2015, 07:21 PM
bjh1225
Default Fusible Links

Originally Posted by jkeaton
AH. Ok. I understand now. Thanks. I'm a little slow. All the fuses/fusible links good?
It is not that you are a little slow rather it is that I did not properly word my query. Because we live in the foothills we prefer to have the AWD option so that is why we are anxious to get this van in operational condition.

Husband says he has checked some but not all of the fusible links. He still has to find where some of them are located. He says this will take some time to do. All fuses are good. He has gone out to look at more fusible links. May be late or tomorrow before I make another post on his progress.

Patience is one of my main virtues especially when it comes to the auto repair.

Thank you very much,

Old 03-29-2015, 09:05 PM
bjh1225
Default Up date

Husband took out fuses, checked continuity, all were good. Next checked fuses under dashboard and all were good, then connected the battery and checked the voltage some fuses in the power distribution center had 13 Volts and some did not show any voltage. Checked voltage under the dash some had 3 or 4 VDC. Voltage drop across the circuit. Then momentarily turned on ignition switch and door opened chimed dinged, odometer lit up then died. Turned off the ignition switch and Body Control Module made 'stuttering' sound.

Are we making any progress ?

Old 04-11-2015, 01:29 PM
bjh1225

Would someone please read my post dated 30 March titled UPDATE and tell me if there is something else my husband should be trying to get this van operational ? We had snow this past week and needed the AWD Caravan. He worked on it yesterday and did momentarily have some instrument items light up: mileage.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: ZERO Power to Engine