Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Any tips or tricks for 2005 DGC transmission R&R?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:54 PM
tdidog
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips or tricks for 2005 DGC transmission R&R?

Sure would appreciate some guidance here. I have looked in the Chilton and it mentions dropping the engine with the transmission but its not clear if they mean to tilt it or remove it with the transmission.

The reason for the R&R is that it has a pretty bad leak in the bell housing area. Most likely the input seal but I'm not sure what to expect on that either. Maybe the front pump? Maybe I need to read up on the trans rebuild.

So if I drop it, I have a support bar and I have done transaxles before with a come along on the trans hooked to the support bar.

Any gotchas in there? Special bolts to replace? What about the trans cooler lines? I read something about cutting the lines and a service kit for it when going back together.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:28 PM
tdidog
Professional

Bumping this up. We are leaking a quart a week. So that's about 800-1000 miles per quart.

What would I be finding in there other than a bad input seal? Is it likely that there is something else going on?

Old 07-07-2015, 08:40 PM
tdidog
Professional

Well, to answer my question, R&R of the transmission isn't a big deal. I see flat rate is about 6-7 hours and I wasn't too far off. My biggest worry was supporting the engine and getting the trans out once it was unbolted. Fortunately I have an overhead hoist, so I was able to get it up and work on stuff easily and get everything unhooked expect a few mount bolts. Then I put it at a height where I could get the trans out while on the tranny jack and with the complete mount removed at the front of the car and the complete mount removed at the drivers side fender well, the trans came away from the engine, then towards the bumper, then down. Easy Peasy.

One thing that caught me was the shim under the starter. It didn't fall on the ground, but it moved and I didn't realize it.

And replace the rear trans mount while the trans is out. The front one and the side one are easy, but that rear one is not nice to play with.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:31 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

It takes me 1.5 to remove the transmission. You need a lift to raise the vehicle and transmission jack and pole jack/stand to hold the engine up when you remove the transmission. Start by disconnecting the battery and the transmission lines and connector to the solenoid pack. Are you working on a 3.3 or 3.8 engine? Send me a pm and I tell you everything.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:18 AM
tdidog
Professional

Originally Posted by master tech
It takes me 1.5 to remove the transmission. You need a lift to raise the vehicle and transmission jack and pole jack/stand to hold the engine up when you remove the transmission. Start by disconnecting the battery and the transmission lines and connector to the solenoid pack. Are you working on a 3.3 or 3.8 engine? Send me a pm and I tell you everything.
It's already done. I don't have a tall transmission jack so that won't work, but I did basically the same thing just at a lower height.

Wish that you had replied earlier. the first time we sent it to a trans shop because I had heard that it was a pain to get out. That was a lie.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Sorry, I have been offline for a while. my wife is going thru cancer treatments.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:48 PM
tdidog
Professional

Best wishes to her.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:40 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Thank you.

Anytime you or anyone is having a problem, send me a pm or an email. I will answer.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Any tips or tricks for 2005 DGC transmission R&R?